Electrocuted tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrus

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the site and thought you guys might be able to help. Last year, Hurrican Isabel knocked my high-power line down, and a line fell into my 12-foot Japanese maple. The maple has three main stems (clearly, I'm not an expert; I'm sure there's a better term). Anyway, parts of one of the stems are now dead. Can a jolt effectively kill one part of a tree? Is there no hope for that part of it?

Thanks, pat

n

Do you have any pictures? How many volts was the line? Was it the service to the house or a higher voltage line feeding many houses? Could it have been the weight of the line damaging the branch? Lower voltage lines like housedrops don't usually burn branches.

When a tree grows into a high voltage line the tips are killed and the tree develops a dense witches broom. The tips are often burned black from the heat. When a larger limb brushes a high voltage powerline it will usually develop a canker(open wound) that can have black edges, but doesn't always kill larger branches.

A knowledgable arborist in your area would be your best bet for proper diagnosis.

It was one of the high-voltage lines (no insulation on it) that runs down the street, feeding many houses. There's no obvious burn marks on the branch, and no fractures. It just stopped producing leaves. Bummer.

I am the eggman, googoogoojoob

Scratch the bark with your thumbnail; if it's moist and green inside there is hope. If the stem indeed has died, creating a hole in the tree, maybe the remaining 2 stems can be pulled together a little, and LIGHTLY pruned to train them to eventually fill the hole.;)

You could get more blather from the internet, but an arborist on site can help you more.:blob2:

the japanese maple is an expensive tree - worth saving. hire an arborist to consult with you about, without being there or at least some photos it is hard to tell what you should try. make sure the company has certified arborists on staff.

Latest posts

Back