Electronic heated grips conversion to headlight. Anyone done it yet???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratostreak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just thinkin'...has anyone ever done a conversion from electronic heated handle bars to a headlight for "night sawing"? I know, I know, this probably require a voltage regulator and would fall under a WTF conversion, like 2 wild thingys powering 1 (20" full comp) bar, but....I was just thinking....after a couple brews.....who knows? it could be a useful rescue feature.....or at least piss off the neighbors at night.

LED cap lamp or a generator and a light stand. Safe ?? I have 2 066 Arctics but don't know the generator voltage. A lamp on the saw may not be very safe as you would need to point the saw and rev it up to see.

Cool idea, but I think a "Hotdogger" would be more useful.
Or a digital ticker for tree counts.
Phone/CB charger

I thought about this idea years ago for wildland fire fighting. I was on a "Hotshot" crew, and we often did line construction at night, sometimes for miles. Being a sawyer at night can be real challenging and a headlamp is all that most guys have. I think to have a light that is on steady, you'd need a small capacitor and a regulator of some sort. Heated grips don't need a capacitor/regulator because the aluminum handle acts as a voltage/heat sink.

i dont think theres enough copper in the windings to run a bright light ,a regulator off an atv would work ,it may power a taillight type bulb not a headlight ,i dont recomentd this but ive black taped a mini mag led flashlight to the handlebar and through the brake handle to see enough to cut some lumber in the dark ,mini mag batterys led last several hours

Lamps/bulbs of all types except florescent are purely resistive loads. You would not need any type of regulator UNLESS you need the brightness to be constant. You would start off by determining what
the wattage of the handle heater is to get an idea of what power capacity you have to work with. You then need to determine the working voltage and match a lamp to it (or a group of led's)

One of these weighs 1.2 pounds....you could mount one of these on the bar maybe???:msp_mellow:
The Torch - World's Brightest Flashlight | Wicked Lasers
*depending on the voltage available,you might be able to engineer the heater voltage to be a battery charger....otherwise youre battery life will only be 5-10minutes

The generator on the saw is producing DC current, on my 2152 at max rpm there is 14.5 volts dc available on the leads, simple dc light/led light with a switch and off you go, perhaps an inline resistor just in case.

Get one of those bicycle lights, if you got full wrap it would probably work pretty well.

bicyclelight.jpg

Why wouldn't you set it up to run a portable cooler with beer in it?

Yes. Precisely what I was thinking. Anyway, when it's dark it's too late for sawing, better off heading to the fridge and easy chair anyway :D

Interesting concept

Not saying that running a saw at night is the smartest activity... but sometimes you do what you gotta do.
I never ran a meter on one to see what was there for power. I actually don't think a regulator would be necessary. The one I saw was just a stator with a magnet in it on the flywheel. It would be putting out AC, and at a terrific frequency as well. I would bet it was capable of 20 watts or so. Enough to run a small incandescent headlight. Voltage would depend on load and speed of engine.

On a serious note, wouldn't a stationary light be better than a light moving all over? Or better yet a let on yer head vs one mounted to a saw? I don't think the whole light on a saw idea was thought through very well.

Lamps/bulbs of all types except florescent are purely resistive loads. You would not need any type of regulator UNLESS you need the brightness to be constant. You would start off by determining what
the wattage of the handle heater is to get an idea of what power capacity you have to work with. You then need to determine the working voltage and match a lamp to it (or a group of led's)

One of these weighs 1.2 pounds....you could mount one of these on the bar maybe???:msp_mellow:
The Torch - World's Brightest Flashlight | Wicked Lasers
*depending on the voltage available,you might be able to engineer the heater voltage to be a battery charger....otherwise youre battery life will only be 5-10minutes

If this is true, then why do I have to run a voltage regulator on my dirt bike to keep the headlight/tail light bulbs from blowing?

Back