Electronic ignitions v.s. flywheel polarity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
previous thread that never took off:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electronic-ignitions.226999/

Now my reply to an individual attempting to swap EI from one machine to another....

"I don't have an answer but only a observation I am pondering. That is, that some flywheel 2 magnets are sequenced... some are +/north first then -/south second other brands of saws are reversed. I would use an educated guess and say that EI (not points/coil) are affected by the power pulse(sine wave) polarity sequence. Wrong brand may affect work or NO work. Also have a theory on 3 magnet wheels...."

I'll now add some data:
magnetic field sequence for a few saws
late plastic homelite -/+
poulan 3400 -/+
poulan 2150 -/+

husky 41 -/+/-

husky 268xp +/-
mac3516 +/-
pioneer farmsaw +/-

Now, putting a drill on a saw flywheel nut... power mac 380... and rotating it in the forward direction I get sparks. Rotate in the reverse direction and as I had previously guessed....no sparks.
Another thing to take into consideration, is if the coil is on the leading or lagging leg of the armature. This will of course affect the electrical polarity.

My motivation is to try and modify, into a dead McCulloch titan 560, an EI that will work and I feel I'm aware of some of the pit falls.

Any electromagnetic physicists, electrical, electronics engineers out there? I have only partial disassembled an old homelite 330 EI and don't really know the finer details of these little devices.

Back