Electronic ignitions????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any one have old (dead is OK) electronic ignitions for old saws. Love to get a few. Willing to reimburse postage. Especially old poulan, homelite that are NLA. I hope to disect them to learn how they are made and work with a view to modify existing units to revive old saws I have, with more commonly available/affordable units. I only have one now...a dead homelite 330 ignition that I'd like to get going for not much money....Don't need points type coils at this point.

Thanks

Interesting - I only have one failed unit from my McCulloch SE3420 (PM6xx) and I've been saving it to do exactly the same thing. I want to de-capsulate it and see what went wrong with it.

If you want to see what went wrong? that's my plan too. I think I have to find out how they function then I can possibly see how mine failed as well. Do you know if these are electromagnetic triggered VIA semiconductor to shut off the primary. I have also thought of SCR triggered ON primary during the coil/voltage sine wave passing through it. There fore the SCR would have to block the primary during the off state...which is most of the time or... during dwell off state.
I have yet to pull the flywheel off this 330. Then I'll take some measurements, electrical as well as the physical size and mounting on the "armature". $144 for a ebay NOS or one $25 used. I'm looking to put a new $22 aftermarket on the old armature.:msp_wink:
I'll have to sample the flywheel magnetic N-S polarity to see if that enters into the equation. It may not matter for points/coil but semiconductors don't work much when reverse biased.

Latest posts

Back