Stihl 015L ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to repair a Stihl 015L which has no spark. I tried cleaning the points and it still has no spark so I'm thinking the coil might be bad. I checked the kill switch and it works okay. Was wondering if I could just change the thing over to solid state, eliminating the points. The saw has a Phelon flywheel. Acres site says the 15L already has electronic ignition although mine has points. Wondering if a solid state coil will work with my flywheel. Thanks for your replies.

What I was thinking about doing is replacing the coil assembly with a cheap Chinese module and using the flywheel that's on it now. I'm having my doubts as to whether it will work since the electronic and the points flywheels have different part numbers.

I have to repair a Stihl 015L which has no spark. I tried cleaning the points and it still has no spark so I'm thinking the coil might be bad. I checked the kill switch and it works okay. Was wondering if I could just change the thing over to solid state, eliminating the points. The saw has a Phelon flywheel. Acres site says the 15L already has electronic ignition although mine has points. Wondering if a solid state coil will work with my flywheel. Thanks for your replies.
Good morning A P Jr.
My bet is that you probably have a bad condenser. I've never worked on the 015L and don't know if the condenser is spot welded to the plate as some are and some aren't depending on the saw model. I've replaced lots of condensers over the years for no spark condition. Did some research (as you have probably done) and all that are shown for sale are the entire plate. All seem to be Pre-owned which I would personally shy away from. Also, it seems the everyone is going to the chip conversion. JMHO Have a great day. :cool: OT

Did you look at the underside of the wire where it goes over the metal? Mine was just barely worn through and grounded when hot. The local saw expert missed it too.
I have the whole thing removed right now and checked the points which still didn't make contact so I cleaned them again and now they ohm out okay. I'll check the wires also before I put it together. If the condenser is bad I'll replace it with a WIMA capacitor which usually works pretty well.

Chip it! If you can, get the chip with just one prong. Two prongs are fine too. Be sure you ground the chip to the coil! You will also get a hotter spark using the chip.

Back