Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on an 028WB which has no spark so I ordered a new module for it. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to need a different flywheel for it also. The module I took off it had a small plastic box hooked to it with two wires coming out of it. I'm not sure if the thing has points or not since I didn't take the flywheel off. Can I use the points flywheel with the electronic module? Thanks.

I kinda had at it earlier this afternoon when I removed the flywheels from both 028 saws. The 028WB had points which I removed and threw in the trash, and the 028AV had electronic ignition. The flywheels had different part numbers, the WB had a 1205 and the AV had a 1206 but both looked the same. The keyway in relation to the magnets was the same so I'm thinking I can probably use either with the new module I purchased.

I've used the replacement two leg electronic coil/module on the earlier 028's with the three leg coil with no issues, the saw runs great.

Module arrived late today. If all goes well I'll try to install it tomorrow and see how she does..
It should work fine, I replaced one this spring past on an 028S that I had given to a neighbor to me up on the lake cottage country. Even though the saw was very low hour and in fine physical shape it began acting erratic at first and very soon after it started one last time, revved up suddenly and died dead as a nit, no fire at all, cold or hot so I acquired a coil off an 029, changed the high tension lead and it has been running flawlessly since.

I installed the module and it worked fine but it wasn't a bolt on as it was advertised. The coil was okay but the sparkplug wire was about an inch or so too short. I still have to find a piece of another coil wire and lengthen the one on the saw. This one would work okay on an 026 or 024, etc., but since the spark plug leans to the right the wire wouldn't reach it.

I installed the module and it worked fine but it wasn't a bolt on as it was advertised. The coil was okay but the sparkplug wire was about an inch or so too short. I still have to find a piece of another coil wire and lengthen the one on the saw. This one would work okay on an 026 or 024, etc., but since the spark plug leans to the right the wire wouldn't reach it.
Yes, I did mention the high tension lead needs to be changed, I just used the one from the bad module., it just winds out.

This 028 had the original points coil and the wire on it was gray and it was hard as a rock. I chose not to use for this reason.
I have seen many of the grey wires and you are right, they usually are very stiff but I have used them very successfully if the covering insulation is not cracked. It was John Fisher who originally convinced me it was a good idea to swap the 029 coil/modules onto the 028`s as they were most plentiful, he was buying new 029`s at that time and breaking them down and reselling the parts much below what the dealers wanted for them.

Latest posts

Back