Elm this, and Elm that...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice!! i'm no wood snob in my stacks i have hedge, black locust, mulberry, honey locust, white oak, black oak, bur oak, ash, hackberry, siberian elm, american elm, sugar maple, silver maple, box elder maple, willow, cottonwood, poplar, cedar. hope i'm not forgetting any. lol.
I have a token sampling of those except the cottonwood and siberian elm but I try to sneak them into the stove when no one is looking and only cut them when I have to. Image is everything ya know!

separated according to soft or hard??? pre, and post season???
oh ya!!! well for the most part. some pieces are mixed. I'd say 90 percent of the wood is separated. I try my best but i'm far from perfect.

oh ya!!! well for the most part. some pieces are mixed. I'd say 90 percent of the wood is separated. I try my best but i'm far from perfect.
I don't separate much. If I have some oak or wood that I know will be sitting for a few years it will be separate, otherwise it is all mixed up if I am using it next year. In the picture oak on the right and on the left is a mix of elm(American and Siberian) , oak, cherry, pine, box elder, aspen, and a little mulberry. I have some standing storage ash behind the piles. If it dies not to far to haul. IMG_4662.JPG

Now that I've burned it a few times I'm always on the lookout for elm. The native elm up here were basically wiped out by DED in the 70's but I'm seeing a lot of smaller elms growing anywhere within a mile or so of towns. No scrounges yet. My logger friend says he comes across pure stands of rock elm (and also ironwood) every so often but they are pretty rare.

Weeds don't seem to provide as much heat in the stove as Siberian elm. Even its bark works better for kindling than weeds. Hey, it's not perfect, but it works. There are guys here that even burn box elder.

We have lots of it here in Colorado. I get all I want from a buddy in town with a tree service. Its heavy as hell green but if I let it dry for a month It splits pretty easy and dries fast as we have very hot dry summers. It does seem to burn pretty hot once you get it going.

I was on Nantucket yesterday and they have lots of elms although they seem to be suffering somewhat from DED. One was over 4' diameter, I can only imagine how long it's been there.

The one sure thing about elm is that it's highly variable and hard to ID separate species. We have a lot of slippery elm around here, and patches of American elm. I know of several huge Americans, one is easily 4-5' DBH.

So, here it is, the elm wood that nobody seems to want but it's the wood that heated my house most of last year. I split all of it after I quartered the rounds and loaded them onto my truck. Really good firewood in my book.

Eventually it became this:

I saved about $600 heating my house with it.

No doubt it is good heat. To me that is a big one. I think my largest was 18 or 20 inches and was a SOB to split, all of it. I won't pass it up but it would be OK if I never found one in my path again.

No doubt it is good heat. To me that is a big one. I think my largest was 18 or 20 inches and was a SOB to split, all of it. I won't pass it up but it would be OK if I never found one in my path again.
Here's how it was carried to the log splitter:

Each round was cut into four blocks with noodle cutting. Each block weighed about 100 lb, and that was light enough for me to raise up to the tailgate and push on board.

This one was 28" across and had 70 growth rings. Would have made nice firewood if anyone wanted to roll those big rounds out of the swamp.

image.jpg

Here's how it was carried to the log splitter:

Each round was cut into four blocks with noodle cutting. Each block weighed about 100 lb, and that was light enough for me to raise up to the tailgate and push on board.
I'm not sure that's elm????

Latest posts

Back