Elm tree (I think) Storm Damage - can it be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preas76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a big wind storm blow through last night and took out a main branch of one of my trees, an awesome shade tree :(.

Do y’all think the tree will the tree survive?

I have read a few threads, but am still a little lost for what to do. I think I should chisel away damaged bark around the perimeter of the wound and maybe paint, or wax, or duct tape, or flex seal, or something all over the exposed wood.

Also, it looks like several branches have fallen through the years above this one; according to the scars (see pics). But now the tree seems lopsided towards the driveway side of it. Might it be weak enough now to fall onto my driveway when the next storm comes?IMG_6950.jpegIMG_6950.jpegIMG_6963.jpegIMG_6964.jpegIMG_6969.jpegIMG_6974.jpeg

Can it be saved? Yes.
Should it be saved? No.
Long term structural issues due to decay in the trunk. The location deserves a nice specimen tree.
Sorry for being obtuse, but what does a “specimen” tree mean?

Oh, and thank you for replying to my question by the way.

You like the tree as it is, so keep it!

Id neaten up the lower splintered wood with a chainsaw, downwards slopping to aid water run off. I’d pressure wash the higher dirty brown patch. Maybe mist it with anything considered to have anti fungal properties. Then once dry I’d paint the exposed wood.

Its perfectly possible to do all this yourself so if it dies in a few years and you have to remove it, you have lost nothing by trying but your time.

As close to the house, it will eventually come down. By you or nature. Go ahead and take it down. Plant something like a red maple.

I still say keep it. But if you ask the question on an arborist website, of course they will say cut it!

You like the tree and it takes time to regrow an old tree. Call me a hippy, but its a bit odd and unnatural that modern preferences and health and safety stops trees from growing old and gnarly in a suburban setting.

It looks like you have a chainsaw from the photo. So I'd do a quick clean up, maybe an aggressive prune if you are worried about it coming down on your house. If it recovers and gives you a few more years of pleasure great. If it dies and you have to fell it at a later stage, you have lost nothing.

I still say keep it. But if you ask the question on an arborist website, of course they will say cut it!

You like the tree and it takes time to regrow an old tree. Call me a hippy, but its a bit odd and unnatural that modern preferences and health and safety stops trees from growing old and gnarly in a suburban setting.

It looks like you have a chainsaw from the photo. So I'd do a quick clean up, maybe an aggressive prune if you are worried about it coming down on your house. If it recovers and gives you a few more years of pleasure great. If it dies and you have to fell it at a later stage, you have lost nothing.

As a follow up, honestly, you are 180° off course. The long term dedicated members of this site are committed to offering honest professional advice based on years and decades in the industry. I personally would always tend toward saving a tree, if it is feasible, while also looking at what is in the homeowners best interest... for the tree itself, but also with an eye for esthetics, safety, and also property value. In this particular case, we have an elm with severe structural and esthetic damage from which it has a very poor likelihood of recovering from. As a mitigating factor, it is on a small lot, front yard, center focus, and threatens both his house and vehicles when it inevitably fails. The best course of action is to remove it before it fails and plant a suitable replacement as soon as possible that can fill the void in the landscape and add beauty and value to his property. Waiting only prolongs the inevitable. If he was on a 5 acre lot where it didn't threaten anything the wait and see theory would be valid.

...As a mitigating factor, it is on a small lot, front yard, center focus, and threatens both his house and vehicles when it inevitably fails. The best course of action is to remove it before it fails and plant a suitable replacement as soon as possible that can fill the void in the landscape and add beauty and value to his property. Waiting only prolongs the inevitable. If he was on a 5 acre lot where it didn't threaten anything the wait and see theory would be valid.

Going to cast my vote in this camp ^ this time.

Thank you everybody for all of your thoughts and comments. I’m going to err on the side of caution and remove the tree.

As a side question (I’ll post in a new thread as this may not be the right place to catch everyone’s eyes that may have some thoughts, but I digress)….for the new tree…any recommendations on a tree that gets big and has edible or medicinal characteristics? I’m not worried about the time frame for bearing fruit or nuts, more about the scientific and biological interest. For example, I have a prickly ash ( aka toothache tree or tickle tongue tree) in my backyard and think that it has a cool story and history. That’s not appropriate for the front yard though cause of the prickly part and kids walking up and down the sidewalk all day. But, it’s medicinal so that’s cool. I tried looking it up online but ran into lots of conflicting ideas and thoughts. Pecan would be neat, but I don’t know if the roots would rip up the driveway 10-15 feet away. I don’t mind a mess in the front yard if I have to pickup fallen nuts or seeds or fruit….that’s part of the game when trying to go outside the box.

Thank you everybody for all of your thoughts and comments. I’m going to err on the side of caution and remove the tree.

As a side question (I’ll post in a new thread as this may not be the right place to catch everyone’s eyes that may have some thoughts, but I digress)….for the new tree…any recommendations on a tree that gets big and has edible or medicinal characteristics? I’m not worried about the time frame for bearing fruit or nuts, more about the scientific and biological interest. For example, I have a prickly ash ( aka toothache tree or tickle tongue tree) in my backyard and think that it has a cool story and history. That’s not appropriate for the front yard though cause of the prickly part and kids walking up and down the sidewalk all day. But, it’s medicinal so that’s cool. I tried looking it up online but ran into lots of conflicting ideas and thoughts. Pecan would be neat, but I don’t know if the roots would rip up the driveway 10-15 feet away. I don’t mind a mess in the front yard if I have to pickup fallen nuts or seeds or fruit….that’s part of the game when trying to go outside the box.
Willow for the “aspirin” characteristic was one I am considering.

Latest posts

Back