Emerald Ash Borer detected in Broome and Westchester Counties NY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been harvesting Ash Borer victim trees for 4 years now here in northeast Owego. They seem to be confined to one small area at the moment but I'm sure they will spread. Shame too because Ash are the most dominant trees in the area. The pest is only attacking mature trees, not too interested in the smaller ones.

Only a matter of time before it spreads to all corners. I am in Fairfield County CT which borders Westchester County, my Ash trees are basically all done we are only a handful of miles from the border as the crow flies.

It's sad to read this.. It started years ago in our area and people kept saying don't worry about it. It took about 10 years but now most of the start is infected.

Yep, I have a lot of standing health ash that I am starting to consider cutting for firewood in the next few years. I would like to get some healthy saplings of another species started before I cut them though.

I only sell Ash wood and I have been buying all of it I can find. I just bought a building and 6 more acres for storage. My customers worry about me running out. I just bought 2 semi loads of Ash and a semi load of Rock Cherry for insert for aroma if they want it. Our area is still with out the worm.

Here what I got for $4000.00 dollars and three house trailers but they history.

Attachments

• NCM_0029.JPG
    NCM_0029.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 25
The forestry people are look at why some ash in other county's are being by passed by the worm. The agent said in a 10 group 3 to 4 will not be touched

This is significant because it has been found outside the quarantine boundary.
I don't know why this would surprise anyone within their respective forestry departments. You are never going to totally contain a bug like this until it runs through it's cycle. Yes by banning movement of logs, firewood, biomass, etc it can be slowed but never stopped.

Just like trying to stop fish by closing down a dam in a river. Won't work because fish eggs travel on birds/animals, fish find a way through.

it is sad.i have seen signs,the little holes and dye back on some of the trees we have cut here in chenango county,which borders broome,so i know it is here as well.i have done a hail marry situation.two years ago every ash around here had gobs of seed hanging on them,when they fell i gathered up around ten pounds of them,and put them in the freezer,i am hoping in 15 years or so when this bug has killed all the present trees,and died out from starvation,i am replanting with these seeds. it may not work,but its worth a shot to me.

Deer also have the seeds.(samaras) on their menu. I wonder what impact that will have on wildlife.

Latest posts

Back