employee cimbing gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawson's tree s

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a guy who has been working for me for 1 year i just bought him a set of full climbing gear of his own . would you guys let him have it or take it back if he would ever quit?

I bought climbing gear for my main climber as a 'bonus' for a long week. It is his to keep when or if he goes.

I would give it to him for his exclusive use but let him know that the gear was bought by and belongs to the company.

Makes sense to me. Although if it were me, and if they stuck around quite some time and used the gear a lot, I would let them have it if they left on very good terms.

I bought climbing gear for my main climber as a 'bonus' for a long week. It is his to keep when or if he goes.

I like this way of thinking. When I left my first tree co the employer wouldn't even let me buy my gear from him. Led to a lot of unecessary resentment.

I think it would be good for you to let him HAVE the stuff. When I left my first tree company, I had REALLY fallen in love with the harness they had me using. I asked if I could buy it and they said I could if I paid the new retail cost. I opted to get a new on on my own terms. I was a bit bitter about that. My next employer bought me a saddle and I still use that saddle the most...several years after I've left that little company!

It would make sense to let him know now that it belongs to the company, and if the day comes when he's leaving, if it's good terms and he's handing the stuff back to you, you can do the ol', "nah, you keep it...i know you'll need it for a side job here or there."

You might be doing the guy a big favor, which could be a kind thank you for his time working with you.

love
nick

I would give it to him for his exclusive use but let him know that the gear was bought by and belongs to the company.

Ditto. If he wants it, then he can buy it off you. That though usually is a bad thing when they ask that because they have it in their mind that they can now go start their own company.........had that happen a couple times to me. :chainsawguy:

i have a guy who has been working for me for 1 year i just bought him a set of full climbing gear of his own . would you guys let him have it or take it back if he would ever quit?

It all depends on how you are buying it for him, I know some companies that have a gear budget for each employee based on hours worked. Sort of an off payroll bonus that is not cash. The boss gets to write it off, and does not have to pay W/C on it.

One way to look at it is that if they are buying their gear, they might take better care of it.

Back