Engine Technology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmacr

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for information on high performance, small 4-cycle engine technology - development that might be shooting for the capability of operating a chainsaw.

- Do you think that this will be the route to go to meet emission standards as they continue to be tightened?

- Or will other approaches be more likely - e.g. improvements to the 2-cycle operation; a completely different engine design; or...

Links and comments would be welcomed.

Regards,
John

Welcome to the site!

My .02 cents, we will see more 4-cycles, minni-prossesers ,ceramics ,systhices and the performance will improve, but there are going to be a few lemons along the way. 2007 is the next step in the EPA's set of regs for small hand held engines.

Kevin

4-strokes are always going to have a lot of catching up to do in power-to-weight. The "bangs" to "piston movements" ratio is too low!

4-strokes are likely to be somewhat more fuel efficient though.

Honda has an excellant small 4-stroke engine. I have one on a mini-tiller. It works great. Also there is the Stihl 4-Mix system which they use on their blowers.

They have been real successful in the dirt bike market. Last week a friend of mine showed up at our desert run with a brand new YZ450F. It sounded like crap but it didn't seem heavier than my brothers older YZ250 and all the power was there. I just wonder how you turn a four stroke saw side-ways unless you still premix the gas. But then what have you gained??:monkey:

I'm staying with 2 smokers until I get the Nuclear>Steam turbine> electric package, 10hp and all under 5 lb! Oh yes, I'll be using the Fisherized oiler package..

Lakeside53 said:
I'm staying with 2 smokers until I get the Nuclear>Steam turbine> electric package, 10hp and all under 5 lb! Oh yes, I'll be using the Fisherized oiler package..

We're not that far from a 5 pound/5 Hp, in a 2-smoker. How many holes can you drill in a bar and fill with graphite? take the chain apart and plane the side plates could take off a couple ounces and add to the speed. The titanium pipe will cost a little weight, but give some HP.

Here is a start of the parts/build, list'''

Cylinders:Single
Capacity:50cc / 3.0ci
Engine Weight:3.0lb
Bore: 45mm
Stroke: 31mm
HP:5.0

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/50.htm

Think a 10 pound/10 horse would be fun? Call it the 10/10?

Cylinders:Twin
Capacity: 110cc (6.7ci)
Engine Weight (as pictured):3.90lb (1.77 kilo)
Bore: 46mm (each cyl)
Stroke: 33mm (each cyl)
HP: 10.5

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/110.htm

Understand, these engine were not tested with the Fisherized oiler package, nor have they been Lambertized.

Kevin

Back