Engine won't start without starting fluid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmswilson1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing an edger for someone else. so far I've taken apart the carb. and checked mix screws. The carb. is in good condetion and the diaphram looks clean and very pliable. I dont understand, it runs decent once running but it refuses to start or even try without starting fluid. Do you guys have any ideas why this and how to correct it?

Stop using pump gas. Go to your motorcycle shop and get some VP Racing Fuels C12 fuel or go to Sears and buy some of their Craftsman premixed fuel for 2 cycle engines.

Pump fuel is not good for cold starting because its vapor pressure is too high.

Hows the compression? I had a Partner saw like that. Once it was running it ran great but hard as hell to start. Pull the plug squirt a little eng oil in to help rings seal and try to start with no either. If it starts up right away rings are worn out. :)

Hows the compression? I had a Partner saw like that. Once it was running it ran great but hard as hell to start. Pull the plug squirt a little eng oil in to help rings seal and try to start with no either. If it starts up right away rings are worn out. :)

I agree...You might check the valves to make sure they are adjusted properly, also...Good luck...

Stop using pump gas. Go to your motorcycle shop and get some VP Racing Fuels C12 fuel or go to Sears and buy some of their Craftsman premixed fuel for 2 cycle engines.

Pump fuel is not good for cold starting because its vapor pressure is too high.

:monkey:

I'm fixing an edger for someone else. so far I've taken apart the carb. and checked mix screws. The carb. is in good condetion and the diaphram looks clean and very pliable. I dont understand, it runs decent once running but it refuses to start or even try without starting fluid. Do you guys have any ideas why this and how to correct it?

I would start by checking either the primer or the choke to make sure they are working properly depending on what it has.

Try pulling the plug and shooting fluid straight down the plug hole. It should fire then.

If it has very bad compression it won't start worth a crap because the compression is needed to make the carb pump fuel.

It doesn't by chance have a Vacu-jet type carb with a fuel bowl and tank above the carb? these tend to not give as many starting problems provided the ignition is working properly.

check the fuel lines

I have had a couple little engines this last year that had failure of the fuel lines. I suspect that the corn gas is eating them. I just repaired a Mantis Tiller that would not run, turns out the fuel line in the tank was soft, nasty and decomposing, it was suckin air. New fuel lines and return from the primer and it was thrashin away at the garden.
I had a Husky saw that wouldn't run this winter and it was the same thing.

Both engines, you could squirt fuel direct into carb and they would fire and run after screwing around with them. Once I replaced fuel lines they both started and ran correctly.

One more thing and it probably isnt the problem but I had an old guy who was losing his oomph and couldnt start 4 cyl. edger. I noticed the head area was damp with oil. All the head bolts were loose. I tightened up and got the compression back enough that he was able to start. So that goes with compression,valves ,head gasket, and rings.:)

Check the valve clearances before you go tearing the motor apart. If the valves are sitting open it'll be a beast to start.

A compression check with it still all in place will tell you a lot (before and after a dose of engine oil). Do this and report back :)

Back