entry level firewood processors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoo52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i was wondering what you guys would recomend on an entry level firewood processor. im looking to up my production. i had a friend help me cut last winter but he is busy doing other things so i was thinking i could replace him with a machine. i have the wood to feed a processor.

Last edited:
i was wondering what you guys would recomend on an entry level firewood processor. im looking to up my production. i had a friend help me cut last winter but he is busy doing other things so i was think i could replace him with a machine. i have the wood to feed a processor.

Well we need to know money wise how much you got to spend. And what diameter you are working most of them will not take a size bigger than an 18" diameter. But in my own opinion I would go with just the splitting unit and save the rest on a new and bigger saw (thats what I did). But if you want something cheap but well built I would go with hud-son badger, or the dyna SC-14 or SC-16. I have been looking for over 4 years for one and settled on the TW-5 and bout some new saws and trucks with what I saved on the processor. I am hoping to post some pic soon of what diameter stuff we are splitting with the TW-5 some stuff you will say no way. Make sure you look really hard before you buy and demo everything you can because if it brakes its not yours and you know that it will not do what you want it to do. Happy hunting skidoo

just my two cents

entry level firewood procesor

I was wondering what you guys
would recommend on an entry level firewood processor.

I'm looking to up my production.

I had a friend help me cut last winter but he is busy doing
other things so I was thinking I could replace him with a machine.

I have the wood to feed a processor.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Chomper firewood processor uses a shearing blade
and 0-2-4-8 multisplit head arrangement.
The Chomper PTO Simplex 14 is tractor powered.
The Simplex 14 has small gas engine.

Both units have a hydraulic winch that pulls log
length firewood to the chute and eliminates having
to handle logs with a peavey or need a skid loader
as no log deck is needed.

For the money involved the Chomper is the least
expensive and least complicated unit in my opinion
as no chain saw or circular saw head is required.

The family owned firm has been building them for over
20 years so they must be doing something right.

Before anyone complains about dragging wood to a
processor most wood is dragged everywhere before
its hacked up by a proccessor with a log deck anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

entry level?????? a couple axes and saws and a few illegal aliens....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Chomper firewood processor uses a shearing blade
and 0-2-4-8 multisplit head arrangement.
The Chomper PTO Simplex 14 is tractor powered.
The Simplex 14 has small gas engine.

Both units have a hydraulic winch that pulls log
length firewood to the chute and eliminates having
to handle logs with a peavey or need a skid loader
as no log deck is needed.

For the money involved the Chomper is the least
expensive and least complicated unit in my opinion
as no chain saw or circular saw head is required.

The family owned firm has been building them for over
20 years so they must be doing something right.

Before anyone complains about dragging wood to a
processor most wood is dragged everywhere before
its hacked up by a proccessor with a log deck anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looked on their website -didn't see any PTO driven option - I emailed them, we'll see.

066Bigbear gave you some good advice

A good commercial splitter and used conveyor may be the best way to get started. Both pieces of equipment are far easier to get out from under than a processor if the market goes south, or God forbid you get injured.

Look around in your area for used processors, The seller will be more than willing to demonstrate and you can get a feel for features you like, need, and / or make no difference. Ask questions about the cost of maintenance. Hint, they ain't cheap to fix.

I know a few guys that run processors. If they can't get at least $200 a cord they both figure it's better to let it sit. A processor like any wood harvesting equipment can only make money when it's running and there's a certain cost per cord that you'll have to determine just to run it regardless of selling price of a cord of wood.

I think the Booneville NY show is coming up soon. It may be worth a trip to visit and see what's available and what the payment requirements will be.

Not really an answer to your question, but maybe some food for thought. Wish you nothing but success however you decide to proceed.

Take Care

I'm sorry to say that this is the most effective way of doing business in Maryland.

not just maryland but all america...thousands unemployed but they wont work an honest days work for an honest days pay...
besides if you dont like the way they work deport them.....:laugh::laugh:
or work them then deport them with out paying them....:laugh::laugh:

i was wondering what you guys would recomend on an entry level firewood processor. im looking to up my production. i had a friend help me cut last winter but he is busy doing other things so i was thinking i could replace him with a machine. i have the wood to feed a processor.

What is the average size of the wood you will be processing ?

What is the average size of the wood you will be processing ?

almost a full page of responses and finally someone asks the million dollar question....
and where will these logs be coming from..are they tree service castoffs and BAM(big @55 m'n) stumps or are they pretty slim nice log legth delivered sticks?

what equiptment do you already own and what type of a budget contraint do you have. will you be financing or purchasing for cash....sorry for the different line of questioning, its the banker in me asking.

and most importantly....si hable espagnol ?

almost a full page of responses and finally someone asks the million dollar question....
and where will these logs be coming from..are they tree service castoffs and BAM(big @55 m'n) stumps or are they pretty slim nice log legth delivered sticks?

what equiptment do you already own and what type of a budget contraint do you have. will you be financing or purchasing for cash....sorry for the different line of questioning, its the banker in me asking.

we own 400 acres of oak and hickory stands. we are doing 20 acres of timber stand impovement a year so i started selling firewood last year. i sold about 35 full cord but would like to produce alot more. the trees are 12" to 20" in diameter. i own alot of equipment and also a full time equipment operater during the warm weather then get laid off during the winter months. also have a small deleivery business of mulch, topsoil, and stone. this a list of equipment i have 2000 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke, 2006 moritz dump trailer 12000 pounds 12 foot long, 1996 chevy k3500 6.5 turbo diesel with bri mar 6000 pound dump insert, ford 540 diesel tractor with loader bucket, international 340 tractor, wallenstein fx 90 logging winch, stilh 260 pro saw, stihl 460 pro saw, log rite peavy with stand 60", and my uncle has a 1997 cat d3c dozer on the property. plus acouple of atvs not sure might be forgetting something but it should give you a rough idea. i do plan on financing but will have a large down payment.

Skidoo,

Id take a look at these... BUILT-RITE YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR FIREWOOD PROCESSORS, WOODSPLITTERS, CONVEYORS, AND RIM CRUSHERS

a few members have their products and they are well built and real friendly when things don't go as smooth as they should have. Manatarms ( Mark ) has one with a Cat engine that is the front end of a processor. That means you can purchse the splitter, run the knads off it and if you really want to make a big time go of it after you get the hang of it, you can buy the back end and have a full processor. You would be surprised how much wood you can split with a good commercial splitter ,good help and the toys you already have.

A nice TW-6 would be fine too but you need a conveyer as a good splitter will bury you in wood and splitter trash real fast. Matter of fact you'll need the conveyer no matter what.

Skidoo,

A nice TW-6 would be fine too but you need a conveyer as a good splitter will bury you in wood and splitter trash real fast. Matter of fact you'll need the conveyer no matter what.

This is very true I was buried in split peaces and splitter trash untill I got mine and you dont have to go and get a high dollar one ether. Picked up my conveyor for 200 bucks and my TW-5 keeps it loaded of splits from top to bottom and mine is 40' (well 38' ant going to lie). But it sounds like you have everything to just go and get one. But to get one to take up to a 20" peace u might be looking at over 25k or even 35k all depends on what brand and how you set it up to meet your needs.

ADDED $0.04

Blacks Creek make a processor at an entry level price .

[video=youtube;UjP3nrktIK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=UjP3nrktIK4[/video]

I believe they start at around 9000.00$$ .

Back