Estimate Charge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric E.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I returned a call for someone that wanted me "to look at an old Oak to see if it needed cabling. While you're hear I have some other trees for you to look at." The tree is about 45-60 minutes away one way. I explained that it would be a $50 dollar charge and I would discount the job by that amount if I do any needed work.

How many of you do the same?

When my wife called the appliance repairman it cost $50 for him to walk through the door on top of the repair.

I havent charged for an Estimate yet. Most of them ask if I give Free estimates.Of Course Some of them want a price over the phoneWhich i wouldnt touch with a 10' pole.

Estimate vs. Consultation

If someone calls for an estimate, i.e. pruning, removal, etc., its free. But if they want us to diagnose a problem, look over the whole property and make recommendations, or are looking for suggestions on what to do with their trees, we consider that a consultation and charge for it. Sometimes there's a fine line between an estimate and a consultation and there are times when an estimate turns out to be a consultation. A paid consultation usually includes a written report of observations and recommendations. And we will credit the charge to any work done as a result.

My chiropractor has been asking me the past few times I have seen him how much it would cost to take down a tree; 60' tall, 6' in diameter, and right in front of a house. Later on he tells me it is 60' tall and then does one of those arm hoop things. HTF are you supposed to price that?

Put simply: You can't. Just driving through McDonald's (the drive-up window...not the dining room), I've been asked about the proverbial tree-in-my-front-yard. Since that's not nearly enough information, I just give them a card and say, "give us a call...someone will be out to see it."

Nickrosis

Latest posts

Back