Eucalyptus Leaf Beetle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac-climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's what I got going on...

36" DBH Multi-Stem Eucalyptus globulus in a residential landscape Approx. 65' in height.

Severe infestation of ELB, 95%-100% of the canopy is affected. The tree was pruned around 3 months ago by an outside company and no damage was mentioned to the HO (I have a real hard time believing there was none). Adult, larval, and eggs all observed. Some areas have been completely defoliated in the lower canopy while the upper is intact but has still sustained damage.

This is not a pest that is terribly wide spread in my area, I've dealt with it before without pesticide use and fared ok. Typically an established tree can deal with it. This tree is stressed though, tons of epicormic growth, over watered, and a generally poor appearance due to the feeding activity.

What are you guys using for control? I prefer to use a systemic due to the location not being entirely suited to spraying....Imidicloprid? Do I have any other choices?

I would consider trunk drench with Dinotefuran, very good control on leaf beetles.

Do you use a surfactant with basal bark applications? BMSB has made its way to my neck of the woods and Dinotefuran is one of the recommended controls. I've never used it though. We stick pretty strongly to least toxic methods. Imidicloprid is actually the only synthetic insecticide we use.

Do you use a surfactant with basal bark applications? BMSB has made its way to my neck of the woods and Dinotefuran is one of the recommended controls. I've never used it though. We stick pretty strongly to least toxic methods. Imidicloprid is actually the only synthetic insecticide we use.
No additives used, low pressure hand pump wetting the lower trunk up to about 5ft. Our #1 use is on Hemlock for scale.

It is a bit costly, however a good value IMHO. Easy to apply, low exposure & saves on labor & equipment. Armored scales had been a thorn in my side until this new neonicotinoid came along. Also it trans-locates up into the canopy within 7 days which beats imidacloprid hands down. We use basal drench, soil injection & bark spray to apply with no concern of mite outbreak.

It is a bit costly, however a good value IMHO. Easy to apply, low exposure & saves on labor & equipment. Armored scales had been a thorn in my side until this new neonicotinoid came along. Also it trans-locates up into the canopy within 7 days which beats imidacloprid hands down. We use basal drench, soil injection & bark spray to apply with no concern of mite outbreak.

I quoted the application at $250, is that on par with what you're charging?

If I'm making a special trip to the property for one tree application. I try to get $80 for the visit plus about $5 a DBH inch for the treatment. You're in the ball park.

Back