Eucalyptus Tree Problem - Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabobguy

Reaction score
About 2-3 months ago - my approx. 15' high tree started to have branches die and fall off. It seemed then, that it was confined to the east side and top of the tree. Now - it seems to have spread all over. There is no physical damage to the branches or leaves, nor any visible signs of insect infestation. I visibly cannot see any strange fungus or anything else growing on the tree. It seems that anywhere from 1" to 2-3' of any given branch will just "die" in a matter of days. I should note, that I DO have new growth - but it has slowed down due to the cold weather.

Even 203 months ago---I sprayed the tree w/ insecticide just in case, and even fed it via the fertilizer that I used on the grass around it. I cannot see that causing a problem. This tree has always been fine, even at this time of year.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong, what I could do/look further for, or what to suggest in this instance?

I would appreciate any feedback as this tree is our coveted shade in our backyard during the summer.:(

Da Bob Guy
Tucson, AZ

These trees are fairly weak structurewise and I have found them to be fairly succeptible to various critters living under the loose bark. They do smell great, though!

It would be hard to verify because of how thick and loose the bark is, but it sounds like some type of wood boring insect. I'd look for small entry holes on the first couple feet of the limbs that are dying.

Back