Eucalyptus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIRTYWOOD

Reaction score
I got about 250 euc trees that have been down for about 5 years. I got the 460 stihl with the 32" bar on it. Does anybody know what chain would work best for this hard wood?:chainsaw:givebeer:

I have extensive experience with euc. You have your work cut out for you! if the wood is sound and dry and clean then any chisel chain will do fine. I run full skip because I cut mostly softwood but full comp may be better. If the wood has started to rot or is dirty I would run semi-chisel full comp. If the bark has not come all the way off the wood you may want to peel it off. It is tough and tends to stick in the dogs in chunks. Euc is heavy too. It is very good fire wood in good condition but 5 years on the ground is too long. I don't like the smell of euc burning so I don't use it. Have fun and post some pics!

Added: BTW euc is popular with some pulp mills for some type of special paper. If disposal is a problem give the mills (in OR) a call. There is often a barge in SFO bay, maybe other places.

Last edited:
I got about 250 euc trees that have been down for about 5 years. I got the 460 stihl with the 32" bar on it. Does anybody know what chain would work best for this hard wood?:chainsaw:givebeer:

If the trees are small full comp chisel or semi-chisel will work fine. If the trees are big enough to bury your bar you might want to try full skip.

I've cut quite a bit of euc and I'm surprised that they're still good after five years on the ground. I used some euc for stringers under an oak log deck and they were buggy and punky after two years.

I've cut quite a bit of euc and I'm surprised that they're still good after five years on the ground. I used some euc for stringers under an oak log deck and they were buggy and punky after two years.

Yep this boy has his work cut out for him. I hope he is talking about small tree, like 12" and smaller. The big stuff will have thick bark falling off in slabs and the wood will have that gooey layer under the bark. The limbs will whip the heck out of him going through a chipper.

Euc

Hey thanks for the info. I will try that today. The trees are in perfect shape for being on the ground, so far....They are just about petrified. Ya think a carbide chain will do any better? I know they are dogon expensive. Just trying to make a dollar out of a dime.

Hey thanks for the info. I will try that today. The trees are in perfect shape for being on the ground, so far....They are just about petrified. Ya think a carbide chain will do any better? I know they are dogon expensive. Just trying to make a dollar out of a dime.

No, carbide is for gitty conditions. It cuts slowly too. I would start with semi-chisel and see how it goes.

BTW where are you in Collyfornia? I want to point and laugh (from the truck). :greenchainsaw:

LOL...dollar out of a dime? That's normal. Take lots of files with you.

Yepper got me a full skipper yesterday and it worked a lil better. I cut 1/2 cord then broke out the file. Each tree is about 3/4 of a cord. I'm calling in my borhters now to help.The job is in Corona. If you got a bead on some Oak let me know. I love the way it burns and smells. Just can't find it legally around here.

Latest posts

Back