Evaluating & pricing used gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncchainsaw

Reaction score
I've come across the opportunity to buy some used climbing gear. It was bought and used after hurricane fran came through 10 years ago and has sit in storage since.

Everything seems to be in good shape.

2 questions....

By watching ebay, it seems used gear goes at ~ a 50% discount off new. Am I in a ball park there?

Secondly, do I need to worry about the rope? Inspection looks good, no fraying, doesn't appear brittle (looked in other threads for some info).

thanks again

If it appears near new then 1/2 of new cost is probably reasonable-but 10 year old climbing gear should be heavily discounted. If it shows wear then it should be cheaper than dirt-and you might not want to buy it at all.

I have said it before, I personally would not climb on anything I did not buy brand new. A great deal is not worth your life or even worse, permant injury. 10 years is too long anyway. Good luck.

If the price is right by the rope, a tree guy can anver have enough ropes, but use it for something that doesn't involve supporting your person or where if it breaks, big time property damage will occur. I am not a professional, but I would see nothing wrong with used gaffs maybe even biners and stuff like that, really nothing to break, and of course you'll refresh any wear parts like the leather and avoid anything that has been monkied around with. I want my saddle and rope to be new and in perfect condition, cause that's your life you're talkinga bout and these sorts of things do break/wear down.

Diesel JD said:
If the price is right by the rope, a tree guy can anver have enough ropes, but use it for something that doesn't involve supporting your person or where if it breaks, big time property damage will occur. I am not a professional, but I would see nothing wrong with used gaffs maybe even biners and stuff like that, really nothing to break, and of course you'll refresh any wear parts like the leather and avoid anything that has been monkied around with. I want my saddle and rope to be new and in perfect condition, cause that's your life you're talkinga bout and these sorts of things do break/wear down.

Wouldnt trust a used ALLOY biner for life support. They do break.

Trev

I wouldn't buy used gear for climbing or rigging. Ten years old? How was it stored? Don't trust your life or your rigging systems to gear that you don't know the full history of. If you only used it for rigging how much would it cost you if your rigging system fails and damages whatever you're trying to protect. Buying your climbing gear and rigging gear is not the time to be bargain hunting for used gear.

Get yourself new gear and treat it well and it will more than pay for itself.

I always buy new gear. I have seen guys mess up a new set of spikes by incorrectly sharpening them and I like to know that my ropes haven't been abused (pulling out trucks, etc.) The extra money you spend is definitely worth the peace of mind knowing your gear is not going to fail. Just my opinion.

BEWARE there are a some people out there selling second hand gear which has been retired due to safety issues.so its better to buy new your life is worth more than saveing a few bucks.I would not touch 10 year old gear.

ncchainsaw,

Welcome to the site!

Personal advice - when it comes to safety related items, forget the deals on used stuff and purchase it new.

It might hurt a bit now to cough up the extra funds, but not anywhere near as much as taking a tumble...

Latest posts

Back