Ever break a chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never, in the 25 years of using chainsaws. Its always been something I've been acutely aware that there is a small chance of it happening and I try and keep my body out of the way etc, wear PPE etc. I do replace chains quite early compared to most people.

Here every professional uses full gear.
It is employers responsibility to take care of safety and if something happens the insurance company may even deny payments if they see missing gear caused more severe wounds etc.
The culture has been this for decades.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-213838.png
    Screenshot_20231025-213838.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
Here every professional uses full gear.
It is employers responsibility to take care of safety and if something happens the insurance company may even deny payments if they see missing gear caused more severe wounds etc.
The culture has been this for decades.
In the United States we can generally wear safety earbuds, safety shorts, and safety flip-flops, getting as injured as we want.
Once.
The second time repairs are out of our own pocket.

My late mate ran saws all day every day (except when he was running a city snow plow the last few years) for... twenty years? I think he broke one, once. *Maybe* two (I wasn't always sure which stories were him and which were his crew). That makes me think it's not very common, since, especially before he worked for the city, safety was... a minimal consideration. ;)

A lot of ‘safety’ involves considering ‘risk’ and ‘hazards’: what is the chance that something might happen, how serious might it be, and what might be done to prevent it (or lessen the consequences?

Here is a recent example from professional hockey: something I never heard of, but the incident has brought out reports from the past.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/minneso...ad-at-29-after-freak-accident-during-uk-game/
Philbert

...That makes me think it's not very common, since, especially before he worked for the city, safety was... a minimal consideration. ;)
With $7 chains now available that number is likely to increase.

China has a unique material rating system, easily found examples for knife steel are AISI S7 and Chinese S7, D2 and Chinese D2 being the most common. The Chinese quality is quite good for the price, but the materials won't have the properties (like edge retention) of the AISI materials.

With that said, the materials used in a $7 chain are -in my opinion- too low of quality for the task. Some new chains appeared to have stress fractures in the cutters, though buyers of the chain don't seem to care given the price, I've heard, "Use it until dull and throw it away." Then again, with the chain speed of Chinese clone saws, maybe that's wholly acceptable.

Back