Trigger locks. (chainsaws) How far back do they go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragfluid

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Having a "discussion" elsewhere and the subject of chainsaws and trigger locks (for starting) came up, with someone insisting that they weren't in use before the 90's. I know that can't be true. I've been trying in earnest to look up parts manuals but very tedious.
Can a few of you tell me what you've experienced on this?
Thanks!

I’m pretty sure I had a Husky with a trigger lock for cranking back in the late 70’s.
But it’s could be selective memory.

Do you mean the saftey device that does not allow you operate the trigger without depressing it? Or the high idle trigger lock?
I had the same question, but assume the "(for starting)" means the high idle detent.

I have a Stihl 024, purchased new in '85-'86, with both the idle detent and safety interlock. And an 011AVT, pretty sure it's at least a few years older, that also has both features. On the 011 the high idle, choke, and stop controls are 3 separate buttons -- not all-in-one like on later models.

Yes, the 620 that my father owned did not have the lock, but the 1420 I owned did have it.
Had to replace the plunger style primer, could not find parts to fix it on the 1420.

View attachment 1148650View attachment 1148651
I have rebuilt many of those OMC primers, parts like the diaphragm have been as scarce as hens teeth for many years but the rest of the parts are easily made. Some fellows have told me they got some results from using a flat diaphragm from a section of carb diaphragm material, buna n I believe , my own stock of primer diaphragms is getting very low.

One thing I ran into was that the Stihl 066 throttle lock often would fail, and that carburetor really needed a fast idle for the engine to start. Very frustrating for operators. A shim was needed between the switch rod and the tank housing:
1706572351069.jpeg
Even a short section of tubing would have worked to solve it. Stihl changed the design for the MS 660.

Still thinking about trigger locks I am quite certain my 1956 David Bradly 360 has a throttle lock on it, Havn`t had it in my hands for like 34 years but very certain it does have one.

Yep My 1956 DB 360 has a trigger lock....I just touched it!!.......very interesting saw however loud and slow it was/is....on the other hand my big ol' 1961 Mac 1-52 (87cc) does not have a trigger lock.....

Yep My 1956 DB 360 has a trigger lock....I just touched it!!.......very interesting saw however loud and slow it was/is....on the other hand my big ol' 1961 Mac 1-52 (87cc) does not have a trigger lock.....
I havn`t had the oldies off the shelves in quite some time and there is a lot of them, that I really did not run a whole bunch. The Pioneers I did run for many years and can remember doing a lot of duties with them, the throttle locks on them were a blessing in the summer, made them easier starting when hot.

Latest posts

Back