Stihl 044C crankcase Hydraulic locking ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chain should not be moving when you pull on the starter cord. Something is broken on your clutch.
The clutch assy/rim sprocket/chain is moving on pull.
I removed the rope/starter cover and verified rope is wound properly and working but I expected that since with plug out it felt fine.

Good point, we missed that.....

so if I remove clutch assy can I still "turn it over" using pull cord to check to see if that is what might be causing this ? probably I am in over my head now but I have a number of local stihl shops/repair/saw shops

Yeah, but take off the clutch, don't ever pull the rope or try to start with the sprocket off, if it started, the clutch pieces would fly and hurt someone. For starters, just remove the sprocket and look at the clutch. See if there is something wrong with it, or if the bearing was just seized.

Clutch seemed fine and bearing too.
It was turning when pulling on starter rope only when zero pressure applied to it - meaning neither the tip of a finger or chain/bar on. is that correct ?
In other words the clutch wasn't stuck or engaged but just having the sprocket/washer/e-clip on without any other resistance, the housing and sprocket were turning but if I lightly pressed a finger against it it did NOT turn and does not when bar/chain is on.
hopefully that's correct.

Either way, after letting it air out, and turning it over a bunch of times upside down, etc. to make sure any extra fuel or or oil or whatever seems to have done the trick. was a bit hard on the pull for about 5 pulls then started. Now starts first pull when warmed up.
I guess I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't dumping too much fuel in - and ordered a carb kit and will rebuild carb when that comes in because why not and just in case.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone !

Oh and I found 3 dead mice and signs of more live ones behind the workbench when trying to find the top trigger that shot across the shed when I took the throttle handle apart so I guess now I get to switch over to rodent mitigation...

Latest posts

Back