• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Exact Chain Size Matching?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkellyusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not a beginner at this but I am no pro either so I sometimes get lost. My question today is that the bar on my chainsaw calls for a 78DL chain. The chain itself is a 20 inch .325 chain semi-chisel and I have had a hard time finding a chain locally that fits it. I bought one the was .325 but 81DL. so I used it. I've seen other people do similar things. My question is there some sort of tolerance on mismatching chain and bar or is this all just a no no. From what I can see of chain in that size that is readily available there are not a lot of chains in the .325 X 78Dl semi-chisel at 20 inches although I have found 2 online. I should add that in 40 years of maintaining our property with chainsaws I have never used a semi chisel chain or a .325 chain so this is sort of new to me. That size chain is what came on the Echo 4910 I just bought. Turns out I like that chain for clearing out storm damage and such so I am motivated to stay with it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The 81 DL is generally on Stihls but it will be .063 gauge. The 78 DL is normally on Elux saws such as Husky and all the derivatives. It will be .050 or most likely .058 gauge. Apparently it is on Echo also as that is what you said you had. If you are running a 81 driver on a saw and bar designed for 78 drivers you will find very quickly you will not be able to tighten the chain. Honestly I am surprised you got it to tighten even when the chain was new. As others have said that chain should be easily available and if I was not laid up right now I would gladly spin you some loops but right now I cannot do much of anything for a few weeks.

Bill

The 81 DL is generally on Stihls but it will be .063 gauge. The 78 DL is normally on Elux saws such as Husky and all the derivatives. It will be .050 or most likely .058 gauge. Apparently it is on Echo also as that is what you said you had. If you are running a 81 driver on a saw and bar designed for 78 drivers you will find very quickly you will not be able to tighten the chain. Honestly I am surprised you got it to tighten even when the chain was new. As others have said that chain should be easily available and if I was not laid up right now I would gladly spin you some loops but right now I cannot do much of anything for a few weeks.

Bill
81 drive links is what Oregon at least small mount hard nose and replaceable nose bars like best. That would be 72 if an 3/8 chain was used, in the case of the replaceable nose that changed out.
There is also Nk or pixel chain designed thinner bars. Laminated in both 78 and 80.

This is in the trading post.

I have genuine Stihl yellow 23rs pro in boxes 78 drive links. Is this perhaps a wanted listing?

I bought one the was .325 but 81DL. so I used it.
I find this hard to believe. I would say 3/4 inch from bar end to sprocket max.

81 drive links is what Oregon at least small mount hard nose and replaceable nose bars like best. That would be 72 if an 3/8 chain was used, in the case of the replaceable nose that changed out.
There is also Nk or pixel chain designed thinner bars. Laminated in both 78 and 80.

This is in the trading post.

I have genuine Stihl yellow 23rs pro in boxes 78 drive links. Is this perhaps a wanted listing?

I find this hard to believe. I would say 3/4 inch from bar end to sprocket max.
Me too, how about the OP posts a few pictures of this setup.

If you don't find what you need in a couple weeks shoot me a PM and i will see if I am able to do anything yet. You need to determine if you have .050 or .058 gauge. I am probably going to be away awhile in the hospital but when I return I will gladly help you out (if I can)

Back