Mismatching Chain and Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkellyusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not a beginner at this but I am no pro either so I sometimes get lost. My question today is that the bar on my chainsaw calls for a 78DL chain. The chain itself is a 20 inch .325 chain semi-chisel and I have had a hard time finding a chain locally that fits it. I bought one the was .325 but 81DL. so I used it. I've seen other people do similar things. My question is there some sort of tolerance on mismatching chain and bar or is this all just a no no. From what I can see of chain in that size that is readily available there are not a lot of chains in the .325 X 78Dl semi-chisel at 20 inches although I have found 2 online. I should add that in 40 years of maintaining our property with chainsaws I have never used a semi chisel chain or a .325 chain so this is sort of new to me. That size chain is what came on the Echo 4910 I just bought. Turns out I like that chain for clearing out storm damage and such so I am motivated to stay with it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Just doing a quick Google search I found a lot of chains with that drive link count in about whatever profile you would like. Biggest downside of running more drivers is your using most of the adjustment for the bar up. May not be an issue, but I'd either get a few drivers taken out of that chain or order a bunch of what you want so you have it in hand.

Yeah,

I can find them online but not always in the brands I like. However I have found them at Oregon and Woodland Pro In fact, I've been told that it's an Oregon Chain on the saw from the factory.

In a hurry I put on an 81 DL. I wanted to know if that was alright or would damage the sprocket.

In the meantime, I have done what you suggested and just ordered a couple of extra chains in that size to keep on hand.

Yeah,

I can find them online but not always in the brands I like. However I have found them at Oregon and Woodland Pro In fact, I've been told that it's an Oregon Chain on the saw from the factory.

In a hurry I put on an 81 DL. I wanted to know if that was alright or would damage the sprocket.

In the meantime, I have done what you suggested and just ordered a couple of extra chains in that size to keep on hand.

The wrong PITCH (.325, 3/8” Lo Pro, 3/8”, .404) is where you are most likely to cause damage

The wrong gauge (.043, .050, .058, .063) won’t likely go into a bar groove, if it is too large of gauge for the bar, unless your bar is really worn. If the gauge is too small for the bar, it will wobble badly, and not cut straight

It sounds like you put a chain of the right Pitch and Gauge for your bar and saw, but it was 3 drive links too long. If you can get enough travel on your tensioner to properly tighten your chain, you shouldn’t hurt anything. As your chain ages and wears, it may stretch beyond the limits of your tensioner to adjust for. A decent saw shop should be able to take 3 links out of the chain for you, to make the chain fit your saw properly

Doug

Latest posts

Back