Exhaust handle bar warmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar Nut

Bar Nut

ArboristSite Lurker
I was surprised to read here, that warmed handle bars have so much gadgetry. Have no saws been made with some exhaust diverted through the handle bar? Have any of you tinkerers tried doing it?

Thanks

Bar Nut

Bar Nut

ArboristSite Lurker
Cigar heater

DanManofStihl said:
I thought thats how they were heated till I read the other tread. You really do learn something new everyday.
I'd rather drill a hole in the handle bar, and stick a lit cigar in it, than have all that stuff to give trouble and cost a bundle.

Maybe I'll take up smoking cigars:D

Hired Gun

Hired Gun

ArboristSite Operative
bama said:
The 490 Jonsered I have had the option for a heater which used exhaust gas from the muffler. The IPL shows how it was diverted. I don't know how well it worked, though.

I tuned one up a while ago for a guy I know. In fact I could not operate it w/o gloves it got really hot. Interesting set up. Kind of reminded me of a heated dump truck body.

Bar Nut

Bar Nut

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks Scott

retoocs555 said:
Partner made one, check this out R18
That's exactly what I had envisioned.
Is the screw an adjustment for heat flow?

Was carbon buildup in the heating transfer tube a problem,
and how was it be cleaned out ?

Sprig

Sprig

Addicted to ArboristSite
That R18 is kinda a cool old beast, I like that heating idea and it seems to me it wouldn't take much for one of the pros here to whip up a by-pass like that, maybe even make it adjustable (brass petcock valve?) so you don't cook yer mitts. (edit> oops, didn't notice little screw head thingy) I also think it wouldn't take much of the diverted exhaust to do the trick. Like Dan said, you do learn something everyday! :D
The only heating I use are those little organic 'Hot Pockets' (the kind ya shake to activate)stuffed in the toes of my boots, they are cheap and work great!

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bar Nut said:
That's exactly what I had envisioned.
Is the screw an adjustment for heat flow?

Was carbon buildup in the heating transfer tube a problem,
and how was it be cleaned out ?

I've had R16s, R17s, R19s, R21s and many other r series saws but never come across an R18 so I don't know how well it really worked or what kind of problems there were but I'd love to find one and figure it out!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
retoocs555 said:
Partner made one, check this out R18
They didn't only make one, but that was probably the first one.
That feature was available on a lot of Partner models through the 1970s.

bama said:
The 490 Jonsered was made by Partner and that system looks exactly like what the IPL shows. I think the 5000 shares parts with the 490(not sure, though).
I think you are right!

Latest posts