Extra bar and chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an extra bar / chain for my MS-261. It came with a 20" bar and I'm sure that will serve most of my needs.

But, I am thinking about getting a shorter bar for when the need arises. Thinking about either an 18" or 16". Any good, bad, or ugly advice?

Would appreciate some positive feedback from you all.

Last edited:
You need to get a 16" set-up for most use, and just use the 20" one when really needed. The saw will be much happier that way! ;)

Suggested by my local dealer: 16" bar and 3 chains. Change chains every 4 hours and flip bar. By the time the chains are due to be replaced, replace the bar and rim sprocket as well. 18" bar is too close to a 20" bar. Save the 20" bar for the occasional big stuff.

Last edited:
Suggested by my local dealer: 16" bar and 3 chains. Change chains every 4 hours and flip bar. By the time the chains are due to be replaced, replace the bar and rim sprocket as well. 18" bar is too close to a 20" bar. Save the 20" bar for the occasional big stuff.

+1

Dano, just wanted to give kudos for being a good sport about all the ribbing regarding your saw running adventures. I ran four saws today and only one made any chips. I am sure that many if not most on here sometimes run saws when not cutting for whatever reason but you have taken a lot of heat for it and have been a really good sport about it. And please don't think it's over because I'm sure we'll be able to get a few more digs in here and there. lol.

Anyway, 16" is the way to go since you already have a 20. If the saw didn't have any bar, I would say 18" but no sense getting a bar just two inches shorter than what you have.

If you don't already have chaps or chainsaw pants. Hold off on the bar and get a pair of those.

Dano, just wanted to give kudos for being a good sport about all the ribbing regarding your saw running adventures. I ran four saws today and only one made any chips. I am sure that many if not most on here sometimes run saws when not cutting for whatever reason but you have taken a lot of heat for it and have been a really good sport about it. And please don't think it's over because I'm sure we'll be able to get a few more digs in here and there. lol.

Anyway, 16" is the way to go since you already have a 20. If the saw didn't have any bar, I would say 18" but no sense getting a bar just two inches shorter than what you have.

If you don't already have chaps or chainsaw pants. Hold off on the bar and get a pair of those.

yep- very easy to mistake a leg for a tree flailing a saw at wot in a garage. :msp_w00t::poke:

seriously- PPE is very important. I took a saw across the top of my foot 2 years ago. So when I cut now, I use an appropriate size bar- no need for half the bar (or more) to be exposed in the cut. I like a 16'' bar on a 50cc saw.

Take Care Dano-:rock:

Last edited:
I've given Dano some crap about his starting adventures and not cutting wood and he always came back with a comment, part of being part of the AS family is having thick skin and not taking things to heart and Dano does it well.

Have you cut wood yet Dano??

you must be used to oregon bars if you get a stihl bar you will get at least 20 chains use with proper maintenance

:confuse:

I've given Dano some crap about his starting adventures and not cutting wood and he always came back with a comment, part of being part of the AS family is having thick skin and not taking things to heart and Dano does it well.

Have you cut wood yet Dano??

Actually, yes!

Dropped two 30' pine trees on Tuesday for a friend. All went well. :msp_biggrin:

Actually, yes!

Dropped two 30' pine trees on Tuesday for a friend. All went well. :msp_biggrin:

Did any limbs fall down and hit ya on the head and make you go to the hospital

Latest posts

Back