F?llen einer L?rche mit 60 cm BHD. Eine Husqvarna 372 xp bringt sie zu Fall.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I like about trees and felling them, is the tree won't answer too many questions. The only honest answer a tree will give you is to tell you how it could kill you, but they don't if you respect them , but you always have to look over your shoulder.
Gypo

I'm a low stump guy too Burvol. It just makes for more volume and grade I find. I seldom used wedges unless I got the heeby jeebies or the tree needed some friendly persuasion. Falling timber as you know is a huge rush and I never tire of it.
I'm living proof that idiots are alive and doing well. Lol

Gypo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbgM2PPt5AA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbgM2PPt5AA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm proud of you John, you made that cherry piss it's roots in less than 21 seconds! You da mang!
John

He may not win any prize for speed and effeciency but he got it to go over in the direction he wanted and as far as I can tell no one was hurt so thats considered fair game in most guy`s books. He did not jamb the saw, did not use wedges but actually made more sense than a lot of these You Tube video`s that I have seen posted. Always room for improvement but not bad overall.
Pioneerguy600

I think he thought the tree was bigger than he was. We always have to respectfully be bigger than the tree. Those trees seem to grow like wildfire!
Gypo

I think a 90 degree flare cut is no different than a textbook notch. It's the holding wood that does the talking.

That has always been my opinion as well. I have never understood the European thing about shaving off butt flare. I mean, did they shave it off with misery whips back in the day? Axes? Wouldn't make sense. Why is it standard with powersaws?

try shaving your bark off in a similar fashion to clear a workspace for your wedges.

Yes. That's sound practice, especially with big swell and thick bark, but makes no sense in tiny European timber.

Last edited:
That has always been my opinion as well. I have never understood the European thing about shaving off butt flare. I mean, did they shave it off with misery whips back in the day? Axes? Wouldn't make sense. Why is it standard with powersaws?

Yes. That's sound practice, especially with big swell and thick bark, but makes no sense in tiny European timber.

Hello Madhatte, I think it's a species specific thing, like spruce or other swelled butt wood. If the butt is swelled all around, it might be a good call to flare it before felling. The only positive result seems to be that the butt log looks clean and we're only gonna get paid for the tip dia. So I think the mill or the log buyer digs the funky cuts more than the faller does. Lol Plus, those cut off flared butts ocupy alot less room on the loggin' truck.
Gypo

Last edited:

In the old days they weren't worried about conservation of wood so they just went above the root swell, hence the 20-foot tall stumps on the Olympic Peninsula.

In places like Germany and Austria, they have very strict regulations regarding logging practices. If you fall a tree for commercial value, there's a regulation regarding the recovery of the wood and the height of the stump or you face a stiff fine. That's why you see them shaving root swell off to get close to the ground.

definately not a production faller at that pace but not a bad looking cut

When you look at what he was doing, he never made the final cut from the back. He made some rediculous plunge cut thing to complete his cut. He hogged out the heart of the tree, which isn't required except for leaners or small bars. If you make things look complicated, the casual observer thinks the operator knows what their doing. It's not even a guy thing, it's just a tree and a saw. Lol
Gypo

Last edited:

In many species the sapwood is quite fragile. The flare is trimmed so that during the fall you don't gut a big pull up the stem. Same reason for boring the hinge face on some species.

Hello Madhatte, I think it's a species specific thing, like spruce or other swelled butt wood. If the butt is swelled all around, it might be a good call to flare it before felling. The only positive result seems to be that the butt log looks clean and we're only gonna get paid for the tip dia. So I think the mill or the log buyer digs the funky cuts more than the faller does. Lol Plus, those cut off flared butts ocupy alot less room on the loggin' truck.
Gypo

I'd say they are getting paid by the hour and try to waste as much time as possible, thats what it looks like.:clap:

If you make things look complicated, the casual observer thinks the operator knows what their doing. It's not even a guy thing, it's just a tree and a saw. Lol
Gypo

I think you hit the nail right there. Nowadays you are considered a faller over here if you have all the safety gear and followed some felling courses. Put a camera to it and people become different animals, overcomplicating things they naturally won't do.

Heck, I remember a guy singing 'I am the king of the forest' after he put down a tree, LOLOL. But that was a true faller indeed :poke:

Latest posts

Back