Fair Price for Yarded Firewood Stems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocosil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The wood lot next to our place here in southern mid-coast Maine is going to be selectively cut. The forester has been in to blaze the trees and he has let the loggers know that I'd like to buy the firewood-quality hardwood that comes out of there. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guys yet. From what I can see, it will be about 1/3 birch and the rest swamp maple, red oak, and ash, with an occasional stick of slippery elm and poplar - maybe about thirty cords of it. They'll be able to yard it on my property, to which they'll have easy skidder access, and I'll deal with it from there for my own use.

I've always bought my firewood in 7 cord loads of stems. Last I heard they were going for $100 to $125 per cord around here, if you can get them. I have no experience buying wood yarded at the site. Anyone have an idea of what would be a fair price to offer?

Thanks,

Bob

The going rate per cord minus the going rate for trucking would be a good figure to start negotiations with.
Another discussion point would be agreeing on scale. Tree-length wood is not easy to measure.

When I sell firewood in log lengths out of the deck I charge $25.00 a cord, you clean up any mess, and don't leave me short pieces to deal with. That's all soft wood, so I don't really know what a fair price for hardwood would be.

Andy

Back