Fallen Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disandat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok. So me and my friend go out in the middle of our snow storm to "help" people.

We come across a tree fallen across the roadway so I pull out my soon to be delivered Super XL. I cut a little and then stop when a neighbor pulls up and pulls out his 028 Super. Man!! He blasted through that tree in about 10 min. or less while we cleared it for him as he cut.

I thought to myself, "I really don't feel bad anymore for selling the antiques".

So, now, what is your opinion on the MS260pro, the MS390 and the MS 361?

I'm also looking at a use 028Super, a 029Super, and an MS390pro. All three used.

I'll be using them for road clearing, and firewood. They need to be light weight, powerful, and efficient.

There is no 390Pro. Unless Stihl has started calling them that with the decomp valve.

Of the saws you mention, the 361 gets my nod. And bear in mind that the 260 and 361 are differnt classes of saws, and not directly comparable. The 390 is a consumer grade saw. Not bad in and of itself, but not a professional grade saw as the 260 and 361. And as such, I'd even give the 260 the nod over the 390.

Of the used saws, the 028 would be my pick. If you're looking at an 029 and an 039/390, skip the 029 unless it's a steal. They're the same saw, same weight, but the 390 has more power.

With what you described, and the saws you listed, I'd do the 361, and then the 260. And if you're looking at those two saws...well, honestly, why look at the others.

(Nothing against the 029 series, but we all know it's not a 361, and it weighs like 40 lbs more than the 260.)

Yip

fishhuntcutwood said:
There is no 390Pro. Unless Stihl has started calling them that with the decomp valve.

Of the saws you mention, the 361 gets my nod. And bear in mind that the 260 and 361 are differnt classes of saws, and not directly comparable. The 390 is a consumer grade saw. Not bad in and of itself, but not a professional grade saw as the 260 and 361. And as such, I'd even give the 260 the nod over the 390.

Of the used saws, the 028 would be my pick. If you're looking at an 029 and an 039/390, skip the 029 unless it's a steal. They're the same saw, same weight, but the 390 has more power.

With what you described, and the saws you listed, I'd do the 361, and then the 260. And if you're looking at those two saws...well, honestly, why look at the others.

(Nothing against the 029 series, but we all know it's not a 361, and it weighs like 40 lbs more than the 260.)

I think fish summed it up nicely. And after you've seen him, I don't think you'd wanna argue with him dude... :rock:

disandat said:
Sorry, instead of the 390pro, I meant the 360 pro. Is that what the MS361 is??

Nope. Entirely different saws. The 036/360 was discontinued, and the slot filled with the 361. The 361 is an entirely new design.

If you're considering the 361 out of all these saws, quit considering and just go buy it. If money or whatever is an issue, that's cool. The 360 (used) and 260 are fine saws. Heck, any of the saws you mentioned are good saws. Some are just more advanced, some cost more, some weigh more, some are of a better design than others. But they'll do fine with firewood. But the 361 is far and away the best saw up for consideration here. I don't think you'll find anyone who'll disagree with that....and it costs the most!

Are you in Washtington? We got hammered last night and today. Trees down everywhere. I got three clean-up jobs just today.

To be honest, the more I run the 26/260 saws, the less I like em.
You get more power and less vibration from the 50cc huskys, and people say a lot of good about Dolmar too.
Cutting gets a LOT better in the 70cc range, but you are usually talking about 4-5 more pounds. Then again, you get better performance, and more done. If I'm cutting anything bigger that 8 inches, I like the extra power of a 70cc saw.

I seem to like the Husky saws, and the BIGGER professional Stihls.

JMHO

Yep, I live on Camano Island here in WA. We got over 10" of snow here and it is still snowing. I actually think there is about 14 on the ground right now.

I'm just looking for a saw that will start when I need it, be versatile, and efficient, and I like power. During this time of year, it is nice to have a saw in the back of the truck just so I can get home at night if you know what I mean.

Oh, did I forget totally reliable???

Husky 385 or a Stihl 460 are the saws I wish I owned.
Thats not to say you should have em, but given my line up, thats what I would love to have.
I really think that you should consider the Husky 353 or 346xp, if you are looking at 50cc saws. Stihl doesn't have a saw in that class or price that compare, in my opinion.

ciscoguy01 said:
I think fish summed it up nicely. And after you've seen him, I don't think you'd wanna argue with him dude... :rock:
Whatever, I'll take him. :D

fishhuntcutwood said:

There is no 390Pro, that's for sure!:blob2: :blob2:

I also agree with everything else in Jeffs post, except that I would pick other brands over the 260 for a 50 cc saw - it is an old design, and suffer from it.

Just get a MS361, and be done with it!

It is by far the best saw among those mentioned here.

Just Mow said:
Get the 361 and never look back. :cheers:

yeah, thats right, keep your eyes on the road when youre walking back from forest to pick up any parts dropped from your saw

:jester: :jester:

blis said:
yeah, thats right, keep your eyes on the road when youre walking back from forest to pick up any parts dropped from your saw

:jester: :jester:
yeah, dropped the scabbard, went to pick it up and saw a Husky (Oregon,because they cannot make their own) bar sticking in the ground marking a Husky new saw graveyard. As I brushed the marker I could have swore I saw the word Poulan appear for a brief moment........:cheers:

disandat said:
Ok. So me and my friend go out in the middle of our snow storm to "help" people.

We come across a tree fallen across the roadway so I pull out my soon to be delivered Super XL. I cut a little and then stop when a neighbor pulls up and pulls out his 028 Super. Man!! He blasted through that tree in about 10 min. or less while we cleared it for him as he cut.

I thought to myself, "I really don't feel bad anymore for selling the antiques".

So, now, what is your opinion on the MS260pro, the MS390 and the MS 361?

I'm also looking at a use 028Super, a 029Super, and an MS390pro. All three used.

I'll be using them for road clearing, and firewood. They need to be light weight, powerful, and efficient.

Interesting. I have never been embarrassed by my SXL's output sawing next to 50cc class modern saws. The last time was next to a 55 Rancher which was faster in the small stuff, but when the going got tough (logs got bigger), the SXL really shined. Similar with an 029 a couple of years ago. Granted, I was more experienced than the other users, but overall was very pleased with the saw's performance. They left the big stuff for me.

Yeah, the Super XL is a pretty hot saw straight from the box, but a little cold natured and really loud...even with the muffler on :)

Our local dealer will still work on the Homelites (thankfully), but he is a converted Stihl dealer. With that, he still has Homelite posters in the workshop.

$470 and $580, give or take a few bucks.

EDIT:

If you're thinking of buying both, don't. Skip the 260 and just buy the 361. It is a SCREAMER with a 16" bar and 3/8" chain. And it doesn't weigh much more than the 260.

Now if you can get one used 026 or 260 for around $200, then go for it. It is a good value at that price. They are nice to have and I do like mine for limbing and small stuff. But at retail, no thanks.

$200 + bar:
026Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Back