Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's another thing I am excited about in regards to OSU. They have a "Student Logging Training Program" that is pretty much set up so that students who want to learn the "working side" of a logging outfit have an opportunity to do so. They have a small "yarder", cat, shovels etc... Students are able to learn all of the jobs throughout the operation to give well rounded perspective.

That's another thing I am excited about in regards to OSU. They have a "Student Logging Training Program" that is pretty much set up so that students who want to learn the "working side" of a logging outfit have an opportunity to do so. They have a small "yarder", cat, shovels etc... Students are able to learn all of the jobs throughout the operation to give well rounded perspective.

Any serious forestry school should have a student logging crew in my opinion.

As far as I know OSU is the only school to do so.

UIdaho used to but they don't have a logging crew or even offer a Forest Operations degree anymore :monkey:

I guess a program like that is better than nothing, but to really learn the working side of logging you need to do it as a job.

Mr. HE:cool:

View attachment 186738theres a few highschools that still have f&l programs. we have an invite competion, demonstration at the logging museum i belong to. it's nice to see them get in to it so young.

thats cool randy, to bad i have to miss the monthly board meetting on sat. wonder were i'll be.;)

I guess a program like that is better than nothing, but to really learn the working side of logging you need to do it as a job.

Mr. HE:cool:

Agreed. But as Jameson said, it's the next best thing. For people in school it truly is the best opportunity though. In the program they are actually harvesting trees from the dedicated University Forest. It is not just a mock set-up demonstration. You work (part-time during the school year, full time during the summer) for one year.

Here's a link for more info if anybody wants to check it out...
Welcome to the OSU Student Logging Training Program

they do have a great hands on program. dunn forest is not that far from me.

Last edited:
View attachment 186738theres a few highschools that still have f&l programs. we have an invite competion, demonstration at the logging museum i belong to. it's nice to see them get in to it so young.
We have a dept in the agency I now work for that insures school districts around the state of Wash. When their loss control people found out that Forks High School had a logging program they about had coronaries. I made the comment to one of them that the kids could easily be 3rd to 5th generation loggers. Should have talked to the wall:bang:

We have a dept in the agency I now work for that insures school districts around the state of Wash. When their loss control people found out that Forks High School had a logging program they about had coronaries. I made the comment to one of them that the kids could easily be 3rd to 5th generation loggers. Should have talked to the wall:bang:

true, the highschool programs are dropping like flies. it is a shame . were down to just a couple of schools doing the show this year.school dist, support isn't what it was. when i was in school there were quite a few teachers that logged durring the summer break. different times i guess.

But when we spent an afternoon out setting chokers at OSU, it was different than real life. When our intermediate support tree pulled over, we got told, "We're done for the day."

I told this story to a Gypo with a yarder. I was there when the Gypo's intermediate support tree pulled over. He mentioned that maybe they ought to go do the OSU method, and just go home.

I only went to OSU for a semester. They had a quickie, cram course in Forest Engineering for folks who were working. The Forest Service used to send the majority of people to it, but there were also folks from other countries who were sent to it. We had a guy from Malaysia in our class.

The other not quite real life situation was that the trees were felled perfectly. They were angled towards the skyline corridor. Easy to pull out without scarring any of the leave trees.

Thanks for the first hand insight! It was my impression that the students were also the fallers? Perhaps I was understanding it wrong...? Overall did you find the time spent beneficial?

true, the highschool programs are dropping like flies. it is a shame . were down to just a couple of schools doing the show this year.school dist, support isn't what it was. when i was in school there were quite a few teachers that logged durring the summer break. different times i guess.

Back in the day we had a high school foerstry program 2 hours a day basically logging 101. Wed take trees out of peoples yards next to their houses, learned scaling,cruising,yarding methods falling methods i dont know if they still have it or not.

Thanks for the first hand insight! It was my impression that the students were also the fallers? Perhaps I was understanding it wrong...? Overall did you find the time spent beneficial?

I was in the quickie cram course. Not the real school course. The falling had already been done by somebody. We took turns setting chokers for only one afternoon. The school was terrified of getting somebody hurt.

I learned more by asking questions (probably annoying them) of the rigging crews down in the brush. One day, I took pity on a lone guy, who was either in his 60s or approaching them, and started pulling rigging. Then setting chokers for the morning. I drew the line at taking control of the talkie tooter. I did learn some things like it is hard to see if every tree has paint on it or not, and it is easy to pull over little cedars. ;)

The young guys were on the landing and were making fun of the geriatric crew.

Setting chokers is like yoga. I was stiff and sore before and doing all the contorting to get the chokers around the logs sure loosened those sore muscles up--so think of it as yoga. :D

Any serious forestry school should have a student logging crew in my opinion.

As far as I know OSU is the only school to do so.

UIdaho used to but they don't have a logging crew or even offer a Forest Operations degree anymore :monkey:

Couple of my friends came from the old UI program. They are among the most competent cruisers I have ever known. I'm pretty OK, but these guys are freaking Jedi.

Couple of my friends came from the old UI program. They are among the most competent cruisers I have ever known. I'm pretty OK, but these guys are freaking Jedi.

I think a lot has changed. I learned all my on the ground stuff at tech school and through work. UI wanted to focus on enviro stuff. The cruising class we had was kind of a joke. But the old hands like your talking about are darn sharp.

Hey Sam can't wait to see some pics!

Nice pics.
Wish I'd of brought the camera. Cutting a house log sale. Big ####ing dead ####ing red fir. Gotta side hill the nasty bastards. Last tree of the day was 36"x41" on the stump. Big for Montana. Completely sap rotted, heart rotted peice of junk. Checked too. Not a house log in it. They wanted it down though. Did make a nice sound when it hit the ground.

Hope you all are well - Sam

Latest posts

Back