Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful pictures Joe! Really great stuff. Makes me want to move south. Man that pine looks like fun! I wish I had some mixed stands around here. Its all plantation. Nothing that tall around here either. Those hangers will keep you on yer toes huh? So you catch the mole?

Yup, the ground looks nice to work on. I want to know about the mole too. That looks like what we tried to catch birds with but if it works for moles, I've got a whole bunch of mounds to set boxes on.:)

how do i make it higher?
I think like Mike said, drop the handle. Its been such a long time since I hand filed. The arrow is pointing to where your file terminated I believe. Unless its due to the camera. The corner should be right at the top where the side and top plate meet. That corner can make a big difference. I'm no chain sharpening guru, but when a chain is not preforming how I know it can it drives me nuts. It can really ruin my day if I was too tired/lazy to really get my chains ripping. Not saying ur lazy Jon. That's just me!

tooth.jpg

Yes I do. I just haven't gotten around to makin the switch. I'd like to, but I don't have the cash to throw at a square grinder and learning to hand file it (or any hand filing in general) makes me cringe.
When I round grind I use two different wheels. The second wheel puts a pretty aggressive angle on the top plate.

I think like Mike said, drop the handle. Its been such a long time since I hand filed. The arrow is pointing to where your file terminated I believe. Unless its due to the camera. The corner should be right at the top where the side and top plate meet. That corner can make a big difference. I'm no chain sharpening guru, but when a chain is not preforming how I know it can it drives me nuts. It can really ruin my day if I was too tired/lazy to really get my chains ripping. Not saying ur lazy Jon. That's just me!
View attachment 334819
Thanks boys, that particular chain did not cut very well. I will pay attention to hitting that corner better
yea, same here but I do hand file every thing. I have a cheap grinder, it is crap. I might try a goofy file and square chain soon tho, I want to see if its faster.
Mike, the easiest way to find out if its gonna be worth it is to buy NQSHM some beer to mail you a chain. Not wanting to make more work for you "other Mike"

Thanks boys, that particular chain did not cut very well. I will pay attention to hitting that corner better

Mike, the easiest way to find out if its gonna be worth it is to buy NQSHM some beer to mail you a chain. Not wanting to make more work for you "other Mike"

What loops do you use Mike? I'm sure I have a few extra 24" and some longer ones.

Latest posts

Back