Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words from all. Lindsey is home, resting the best her poor tired, little self can. My truck is done, rips. Got the next piece lined out, hammerin' it out like we do on Monday.

Jordon,
Brother, I am sorry. I have lost a couple very dear to me like that. I was called nuts by many for starting my falling career after the couple I know got killed. I love falling timber more than anything. Anything period. If I die, so be it. I was meant to be this guy. I have a feeling Charlie was the same way. He had a life wish, not a death wish in his falling. God rest his soul. Hope your crew heals as well.

Hey Burv,

You're absolutely right about Charlie, he just plain loved to fall timber. He was falling on his time off even, not for money, because he loved it. I hear you on the nuts part. I lost my Dad the same damn way.

I'm really concentrating on keeping my crew's head in the game right now. I'm fearful of that. Charlie was a large part of them.

Thanks to all for the kind words, I will pass them on to his family.

Hey Burv,

You're absolutely right about Charlie, he just plain loved to fall timber. He was falling on his time off even, not for money, because he loved it. I hear you on the nuts part. I lost my Dad the same damn way.

I'm really concentrating on keeping my crew's head in the game right now. I'm fearful of that. Charlie was a large part of them.

Thanks to all for the kind words, I will pass them on to his family.

I'm glad to hear things are turning for you, Burv, here's to keeping it going that way.

Thanks for the kind words from all. Lindsey is home, resting the best her poor tired, little self can. My truck is done, rips. Got the next piece lined out, hammerin' it out like we do on Monday. QUOTE]

Glad things are turning around for you.

Its strange how good folks pay with their lives, while trash can exist and exits and exist. . . I am really sorry to hear about that fella, it makes me careful when i hear about this kinda stuff though!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well atleast it got there. Those look like some good sized trees.

Good pics Kid! Man I'll bet your itchin to put that 660 to work! How did that big red go you were talking about the other day?

Havent cut her yet. Its the one in the first picture of one of the bunches that i put up. im gonna see if I can get her tomorrow. Boss man has a 36'' to use, I think I can get it with my 32, i know i can. I think im gonna see how it pulls the 36'' though. From where I have sized it, it looks like it would need some help to commit down the hill like i want. Gonna see if I can round up a jack or two and some plate steel, but that is what I want. That dont always happen...
I want the tree to kick off the stump and try and clear the bluff and poplar stump below. A narrow box cut with a snipe i think will give me the most action. I have never tried to put a box in a tree of this size, but I think if I really concentrate on gunning the same point on each cut I can get it done in an acceptable mannor. We will see. . . .

Here is a poplar I cut today,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is that stain on the butt? Just curious how far up that goes and if you have to buck it out. Does it go for lumber or pulp? The poplar I see sold out west here (furniture grade wood) is nice, clear white wood.

Nice pumpkins anyways!

Is that stain on the butt? Just curious how far up that goes and if you have to buck it out. Does it go for lumber or pulp? The poplar I see sold out west here (furniture grade wood) is nice, clear white wood.

Nice pumpkins anyways!

you'll get that stain in an old poplar, it'll clean up.

Theres superprime poplar sawlogs, peelers, and if your measurements make you do it, grade 2/3 sawlogs. And soft hardwood pulp.
Nice pics dude, nice saw.

One of the roadside hazards I did. Didn't feel like pounding wedges on a tree so close to the road, so I jacked it over. My first time doing the block face with a snipe.

The tree, "freshly dead", still had alot of moisture in the wood. Could still count the growth rings. It didn't lean too hard towards the road, used a plumb bob and estimated a little under a foot off vertical on the greatest amount of lean. It had a slight S curve in the tree, with the lower 2/3 of the tree towards the road and the upper 1/3 neutral, almost perfectly straight. Had some limb weight to work with as well.

I realized I made the jackseat too big, but I still had plenty of holding wood to work with. While it looks like I cut through the hinge, I didn't... Just cut a few lines with the saw to keep things as level and square as possible.

After it went over I said to one of the traffic control guys, "I still got a lot more to learn." He said, "well hell, you're miles ahead of me. I thought it was pretty cool, never seen it done that way."

This has been a fun experience so far. Enjoying it.

0427001633.jpg

0427001124-1.jpg

Back