Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the pic Bitz diagrammed was fresh JGX. As soon as I get it outta the box I sharpen it and knock down the rakers. They seemed low enough on the second sharpening to not bother. I don't measure the depth tho, if the saw pulls me into the log and doesn't bog too much they're fine with me. Like most people, I can put a good edge on something when I want. Unfortunately, also like most people I don't really understand saw chain very well, so I'll never be much more than "seemed to cut good" or "didn't seem to cut so good" sorta guy. How's the engagement thing going BTW?

when you get your chain dialed in ,you should not have to dog in to make the cuts ,it should self feed without being grabby

Nice job on the coos Northman ,but where were your chains straps ,jacks cranes etc ,that vid was not dramaitic enough lol

I like that cut ,it gets the job done fast ,nip nip down

Yup, not a bad job but he didn't yell "TIMBER" or do the obligatory manly man heroic pose on top of the stump either. All we got to see was the Log Dance. I'll give him an 8.5 on the cutting but only a 3 on entertainment.

chains, jack, wedges, cable etc all in the crummy where they belong climbing gear is somewheres? think the neighbor still has it? I'll leave the ladders to Bob.

Well I did have wedges on me, but these didn't need em.
That shows u'r inexperience. Wedges are most important on head leaners! They allow you to leave a thicker hinge and they protect you and your saw from backward jumping trees.

Ah... I see, I got a spencer tape or two... does that count, except its kinda hard to stick a 34' log in the fire place, but I guess you would only need to spit it one time then just keep pushing it into the fire as it burns down, could make one stick last the better part of a week...

chains, jack, wedges, cable etc all in the crummy where they belong climbing gear is somewheres? think the neighbor still has it? I'll leave the ladders to Bob.

Well I did have wedges on me, but these didn't need em.

No ladders!

No ladders!
Last summer iI could not get my man lift to some firs Ihad to limb. I strapped the top of the ladder tight and limbed them up to about 20 feet up with that 044 and 32 inch bar .I felt bobs presence scolding me to get down .was it right no but it worked .if the top was not solid I would not have done it .

Yup, not a bad job but he didn't yell "TIMBER" or do the obligatory manly man heroic pose on top of the stump either. All we got to see was the Log Dance. I'll give him an 8.5 on the cutting but only a 3 on entertainment.

Timber? I though we were supposed to yell "Holy ****" and run away?

North- were those alders a little punky or do they normally cut that fast? With two feet of snow in the woods I try walkin on as much wood as I can right now. I've been doing a lot of that fancy dancing myself.

a few years back I hired on piece cutting hardwood for a guy in winter. snow was crotch deep so we started cutting on snowshoes. have to walk pigeon toed down the logs. the shoes work very good for walking in the tops and over brush.

North- were those alders a little punky or do they normally cut that fast? With two feet of snow in the woods I try walkin on as much wood as I can right now. I've been doing a lot of that fancy dancing myself.

Thats just a sharp chain and green alder, with perhaps too much saw... Thanks to the Junk Man for the chain, think its the last one he did for me, and its got a couple days of cutting on it already...

If your not used to alder or if you've been cutting fir or hemlock all day its pretty easy to overdue the face cuts and get yer saw stuck pretty bad, Alders pretty much always lean hard somewhere, so overcutting doesn't take much, since the idea is to make a huge face anyway.

To put it in perspective the Fir and Hemlock is harder then some species of maple, and nearly on par with our big leaf maples. The alder cuts about like ponderosa pine, without the sap or pointy needles.

Back