Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steve you gots some funny look'n stumps...

Why?

Not bustin yer balls, just curious...
All good, havnt had an expert train me. Self taught = funny stumps i guess
I love those stumps, kinda like a falling CSI. The last one looks like a shallow conventional notch on the left, with a bored out area (too far) behind the face, but the bar didn't reach all the way thru on the borecut, and it was kinda "half coos bay'd on the far side, then releasing the strap from the back.
This is way above my pay grade, but a deeper notch, and putting the borecut 2" instead of 5" behind the face will pull a lot less fiber
Couldnt stand on far side 3m drop off,so thats what that cut is called a coos bay'd? you guys lose me with your lingo, i can handle a little fibre pull.
looks like he is doing problem removals..........? one of those was almost horizontal.
An uncared for farm block, about 12 ugly ones left. Only doing the ugly ones to get at the pruned ones in a flat paddock.

I have another stump guess. . . If the head lean is on the left (as pictured) -- he faced it, boring out the heart and setting the hinge from the near side. . . Walked around and cut the far side cheek, and cut up the back (right side of pic) to finish.

Am I close Steve?

I think I get it now...

Coos is a local name, like humboldt, that has spread mostly world wide, for nipping the corners and leaving a narrow post or triangle of wood to sever, VS the GOL method of boring in and leaving a strap on the back to "trigger" the fall, both work ones faster and arguably safer, the other is just a bunch of dancing with twigs...

I think I get it now...

Coos is a local name, like humboldt, that has spread mostly world wide, for nipping the corners and leaving a narrow post or triangle of wood to sever, VS the GOL method of boring in and leaving a strap on the back to "trigger" the fall, both work ones faster and arguably safer, the other is just a bunch of dancing with twigs...
Dancing with Twigs. . . Wasn't Kevin Costner in that one?

There is a thread "Got Lucky" in the picture forum. While the OP makes good points, he doesn't know what a hinge is. Varying terminology for our cuts seems standard fare, but not recognizing a hinge indicates to me that this guy might need a lesson or two that I am not qualified to give for his own safety. Take a look. Maybe I am just overly concerned. Thanks, Ron

Back