Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samlock

Samlock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Aww, Nate and John, you're taking so good care of me. Weep. However, there's no reason why I can't call Madsen's or fill an order to Bailey's. Wedges are a bit too cheap, compared to the volume, to ship alone over here, though. I'll get them on the side next time I need to order something from the US.

Thank you for the thought.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Nice vid, couple of Questions...because i know nothing and im sure there will be some out there that will remind me. Why shave a bit off before the backcut? and where do you get the wedge pouch/belt set up from?
I am guessing so his bar will fit through in one cut ,36 inch tree with a 32 inch bar for example ,the saw shops here have the wedge pouches on the shelves

northmanlogging
Bark shaving is so the wedges are working on wood rather than bark, doug's have fairly thick bark, and if you only have a wedge in the bark it will just sit down hard and then your in for a real mess. Most of the time I just set a wedge in there out of habit, these tall trees are harder to read than they look, and a little puff of breeze and they change their lean, once they sit back... it can be a real chore to get them back where you want them.

Wedge pouch is available in any decent saw shop around here, if not baileys/madsens both carry them.

The belt is just a GI pistol belt and some old GI Y back spenders, add a vietnam era mag pouch for a first aid kit and there ya have it. eventually I'll but some leather or felt on the right shoulder to maybe cut down on the tearing up of my shirts... but they wear out quick anyway...

A regular found it at the hardware store tool belt is probably better than a GI pistol belt, but surplus is cheap.

northmanlogging
I am in awe Northman. You started those big, heavy saws all by yourself! Seriously tho, thanks for the video, and good job staying on u'r feet!

I had somebody warm them up first to make it look like I'm a real man...

Maybe you can get yer war dept to start em for ya?

Or you could buy a stihl...

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Cody (Greystoke) showed me a trick at the Montanny GTG a couple of years back that I like quite a bit. When you palm a wedge in there habitually, palm in a second one for good measure, but just one corner, and let it hang loose. If the tree sits back, the wedge will jump up even with the one palmed in, and when the tree goes over, it will fall out. The wedge that you intend to whack won't be affected at all. It doesn't take any more effort to do this and gives you more feedback in case you aren't looking up for some reason.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Cody (Greystoke) showed me a trick at the Montanny GTG a couple of years back that I like quite a bit. When you palm a wedge in there habitually, palm in a second one for good measure, but just one corner, and let it hang loose. If the tree sits back, the wedge will jump up even with the one palmed in, and when the tree goes over, it will fall out. The wedge that you intend to whack won't be affected at all. It doesn't take any more effort to do this and gives you more feedback in case you aren't looking up for some reason.
Yup, his 'needle gauge'; it works perty dern good!

steve easy

steve easy

ArboristSite Operative
Bark shaving is so the wedges are working on wood rather than bark, doug's have fairly thick bark, and if you only have a wedge in the bark it will just sit down hard and then your in for a real mess. Most of the time I just set a wedge in there out of habit, these tall trees are harder to read than they look, and a little puff of breeze and they change their lean, once they sit back... it can be a real chore to get them back where you want them.

Wedge pouch is available in any decent saw shop around here, if not baileys/madsens both carry them.

The belt is just a GI pistol belt and some old GI Y back spenders, add a vietnam era mag pouch for a first aid kit and there ya have it. eventually I'll but some leather or felt on the right shoulder to maybe cut down on the tearing up of my shirts... but they wear out quick anyway...

A regular found it at the hardware store tool belt is probably better than a GI pistol belt, but surplus is cheap.

Oh yep, makes sense now, thanks. Used to be a surplus store in every town, lucky to find one anywhere theese days. None of the saw shops good or bad have anything close like that, just belts that fall down every time you move.

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
G'Day Steve,

Just cut a 2L milk bottle in half and then two slits down the side to thread your chaps belt through. Or the thinner 1 or 1.5L canola oil bottles - can thread the handle instead of needing to cut slits.

Off topic (sorry fellas), but regarding that log trailer/log arch combo we were discussing a while back, sorry but I've looked and can't find the designs on my computer anymore. I spent a whole weekend coming up with that and now can't bloody find the drawings. Will scribble summit on paper, take a photo and email you.

steve easy

steve easy

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks Bro. Have not worn chaps for years, mitt came off the saw around the same time. Closest thing to Northmans set up i can find off the shelf is a tactical rig, got the shoulder straps to handle the weight and a heap of pockets/pouches for all the stuff that osh wants you to carry $45 on trade me.

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Thanks Bro. Have not worn chaps for years, mitt came off the saw around the same time. Closest thing to Northmans set up i can find off the shelf is a tactical rig, got the shoulder straps to handle the weight and a heap of pockets/pouches for all the stuff that osh wants you to carry $45 on trade me.
In case OSH are watching, you wear chaps when slabbing, when cutting down trees and, because you are super-conscientious, you wear 'em when milling too. Like we all do.

I've a sister coming in from BC in January if it helps any. I suspect a friendly dealer of T$umura bars up that way might make a few extra sales about that time too.

Latest posts