Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanna tell you guys I enjoy your threads a lot more than the commercial climbing...I'm a tree climber that tops trees in the forest industry as well as does residential tree care. I've learned alot from the climbing thread but also have to wade through a lot of egotistical, holier that thou crap. You guys just offer up info with a sense of comraderie & positivity and don't constantly slag & dis each other's work. More of a team than a group of divas! Figured I'd throw in a picture as well... Not a falling pic, but it was a big ol' cedar snag I had to top...bout 7' on the but with a coon in it...

Oh heck ya, come on in any time. Nice job on a big nasty.

Loggin' is a team sport :cheers:

Burv is the one that said it looks like Cambodia.

We've got hookers to find em for us. And they do. If they don't, its In Trouble City. The old line is, "#### the hookers!!!" We add lots of riging cuts so evertything can pull through the tops easier.

But we don't mean it. Heck, I enjoy hooking every once in a while.
No, its not hard to start a hole, We'll each drop down to more or less the bottom downstream corner of our strip, and find a hole to start with, or make one if we have to :chainsaw: that way when the faller on the strip next to mine gets to his upstream side I'm not throwing trees near him.

A lot more weight in a green tree than snag falling. The momentum helps.

Joe that looks like what I simply call "Sweat Mule". I cannot even imagine falling timber in that steamy bastard, LOL. Drink lots of gatorade Mang. Give you guys cred for that big time.

I look forward to the fall, I'll say that.

Stemming a road today, thats nice work, cut everything whose top will cross the skid road below- they finished logging everything below the road yesterday, will be shoveled by the jammer behind me.

I think he meant coon d#$@, rymes with Rick. What we call a leader that comes off a tree and grows up and or hooks out. Basically a spike knot on steroids. West Coast loggin' jargin.

Lol maybe but the real deal is a bit more eventful 40 pound boar coon in a tree with you sucks especially if you somehow got above him lol. I have been in that predicament a few times in 28 year:cheers:

Nice pics fellas. Got any more? Burvol, you have some awesome country were you are...Im jealous. lol.

no pictures today:mad:

Worked the 5-11:15 6 hour shift today, and already home! Gotta box up a saw for Micheal and then take a nap...hot today here.

Nice pics fellas. Got any more? Burvol, you have some awesome country were you are...Im jealous. lol.

I'll never leave OR/WA. Lived in both states, pretty much just sleep, get groceries, and go to Portland once in a while for big shopping or an adventure when Lindz is feeling good (Fisherman's Marine is awesome BTW) in OR, cut logs, fish, hunt and ride bikes in WA most of the time, but I do cut logs here in OR too, for as long as it's legal to do so.

Dropped four walnuts in a friend's yard Sunday, all of them with heavy head lean. One of them I managed to rope off to avoid hitting a building. The other I had to pull off a tricky ugly stump. The face points downhill into a neighboring property. The back cut is roughly perpendicular to the natural lay. The holding wood splits the difference and steered the big thing down right where I wanted it with no damage to anything.

DSCN1220.jpg

Believe it or not, there's about 300 bf of black walnut under all that ivy! This whole jub is gonna be about working around the ivy. Oh, well, it'll be worth it once I get it all milled and sold.

DSCN1217.jpg

Sorry I didn't think to get any "before" pics or video of the drop. I didn't think about pictures at all until I was already bucking up the mess.

Keep em' coming fellas...Im envious, i wish i got to work in the woods dropping timber all day, no such luck where i am...Closet thing i get to do compared to you guys is clear a lot once in a while...Skidders are by far my favorite piece of logging equipment, next to my saw:) the power and articulation is somethin' else.

Dropped four walnuts in a friend's yard Sunday, all of them with heavy head lean. One of them I managed to rope off to avoid hitting a building. The other I had to pull off a tricky ugly stump. The face points downhill into a neighboring property. The back cut is roughly perpendicular to the natural lay. The holding wood splits the difference and steered the big thing down right where I wanted it with no damage to anything.

DSCN1220.jpg

Believe it or not, there's about 300 bf of black walnut under all that ivy! This whole jub is gonna be about working around the ivy. Oh, well, it'll be worth it once I get it all milled and sold.

DSCN1217.jpg

Sorry I didn't think to get any "before" pics or video of the drop. I didn't think about pictures at all until I was already bucking up the mess.

That looks like a fun mess to clean up! I get a lot of grape vine around here. Its a blast. Especially if you miss cutting one from the ground connected to the tree. They will get your tree changing direction in a hurry. The ground work is great fun too.

Its been in the 90s here and humid enough to scoop water out of the air with a butterfly net. The deer flys are on you as soon as you step into the woods. A dozen at a time. I can't wait for the first frost and fall myself.

I've got a selective cut snag job coming up in two weeks. I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks of saw work, but the location near a swamp maybe a little ruff. Its a few dead reds, elms, and basswoods. They are plopped into the middle of some nice looking reds that I wish I was cutting. The biggest I guessed around 50" dbh and they averaged 30-40". The land owner wants to save them and some promising cherry and smaller reds in the area and ditch the garbage. I think I finally get to try out my homemade bottle jack with the pivot though!

Here's a little swag we opened up to make some quick wood for the jammer amongst an otherwise thinning. After jamming, drags set out for the skidder.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll try and get some falling action next week

Steelhead are fun, but are not brother salmon

moto_0355.jpg

moto_0361.jpg

moto_0358.jpg

This weekend at the home river. Waiting a few more weeks, maybe a month until the big fall Chinook come. Meanwhile I'll harass the Steelhead until then.

Looks like some good sized fish. Too bad you couldn't send some of them with the saw.:clap:

Back