Farm Boss 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colofirewood

Reaction score
I just picked up my first STIHL, the dealer says it's a Farm Boss 026, and has a 3.3 cubic inch engine. The power head has an 026 label, and looks like an 026, so I'm thinking the dealer is confused and just paired a Farm Boss bar with an 026 head. Does anyone know if there really is such a beast?

Also, it does not seem to have enough power to pull the chain (18 inch bar) through anything larger than about 6 inches (pine) without a lot of delay. The chain is supposed to be a .325.

Any comments? Should I make them order the apropriate 16 inch bar? If so, what chain do you all recommend? I cut firewood, mostly pine, for our home use, and stick to trees under 18inches in diameter.

Thanks!

If its a 026 ? it should be no problem pulling a 18 in b/c . & it should be plenty of power for what your cutting. Its a great saw.
Never heard of them being called a farm boss. The 325 chain is fine for that saw. I would not go larger. Did you buy it new.and also the 026 less than 3 cu.in. your sure its not a 029 farm boss.

If it isn't pulling an 18" bar, there is something very wrong with it. Take it back and make the dealer make it right. He got your money, you deserve a properly running saw. The 026 is an excellent saw and I hate seeing one not set up properly!:cry: If he can't get it ripping like it should, make him give you another. No need to exchange for another brand, the 026 is great!
BTW, it isn't 3.3 C.I. It's about 2.6 C.I. Didn't you get a manual with it?

I just purchased a Stihl 026, and did a bit of research before I bought on the current models and still have some brochures.

The Farm Boss should be a 029, not a 026. It has a bit more displacement than the 026 and was a bit cheaper, but also 3# heavier (13# instead of 10# - 30%). If you have an 026 that has a Farm Boss blade on it, I would believe the dealer swapped the blades between the units - somebody may have wanted a 029 with a 16" blade. My 026 came with a 16" blade, but the 029 Farm Boss may have an 18". If you got a good deal, don't argue.

just get a 046 and be done with it. Its only one pound heavier and with the 18" bar it'll slay pine, thats what i run and talk about a time saver.

I have to agree with TenPas you were lucky and received a larger bar. The chain size is good for that saw too but if your just cutting firewood go for the full chisel, it might wear dull just a touch quicker but do they ever cut fast.

Best of luck and welcome to the stihl family.

confused

Hey not to be a knit picker but i just checked the Stihl USA webpage and it shows a 290 Farm Boss but no 029 so could it be that you have a 290?

Stihl is changing all there #s around.as in 039 now 390. 020 now200 and such. They in my mind are just trying to compete in sales with there sweed counter parts.It makes no since to me.

Latest posts

Back