Farmer under fallen tree chainsaws his way to freedom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawn_penn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Farmer under fallen tree chainsaws his way to freedom

The resourcefulness of outback Australians has been exhibited once again.

A farmer at Girilambone, near Nyngan in central western NSW, has managed to chainsaw his way to freedom after a tree fell on him and broke his leg.

The ambulance service says the man was clearing a paddock on Saturday evening when the tree fell and broke his thigh bone.

He managed to break up the tree with his chainsaw, crawl away and light a fire.

He was kept warm over the next five hours by curious sheep that he found difficult to shoo away.

The farmer was taken by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to Dubbo Base Hospital where he has undergone surgery.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1638470.htm

two things to consider

1) what went wrong with the result being trapped by a tree?

2) why was he cutting alone?

I am guilty more often than not of cutting alone. I have been lucky, and tend to be careful. Gawd only knows how that tree ended up trapping him.

-Pat

two things to consider

1) what went wrong with the result being trapped by a tree?

2) why was he cutting alone?

I am guilty more often than not of cutting alone. I have been lucky, and tend to be careful. Gawd only knows how that tree ended up trapping him.

-Pat
My guess was it jumped him when his back was turned (-; ;-)

Gotta love it haha, while we're on the subject though, there is a farmer that lives in my area that was baling hay and got off to fix a clog and got his arm sucked into the baler, couldnt get it out, nobody was around, after bleeding for hours he got out his pocket knife and cut it off at the elbow and drove back to the house.

Gotta love it haha, while we're on the subject though, there is a farmer that lives in my area that was baling hay and got off to fix a clog and got his arm sucked into the baler, couldnt get it out, nobody was around, after bleeding for hours he got out his pocket knife and cut it off at the elbow and drove back to the house.
Man thats awful not as bad as that but my elderly neighbor fell on his saw on a hillside cut him from his belly to his shoulder he walked about a mile home and we had to convince him to go to the hospital tough old guy.

Man thats awful not as bad as that but my elderly neighbor fell on his saw on a hillside cut him from his belly to his shoulder he walked about a mile home and we had to convince him to go to the hospital tough old guy.
I think it has to do with the get tough or die kind of life they lived growing up. There were no safe rooms, political correctness or made up phobias or illnesses. If you weren't tough you didn't make it. Plain and simple

I think it has to do with the get tough or die kind of life they lived growing up. There were no safe rooms, political correctness or made up phobias or illnesses. If you weren't tough you didn't make it. Plain and simple
Sometimes it's just luck many of tough guys gave there lives.

I remember watching a "I shouldn't be alive" episode that sounds like the guy you are talking about, got his arm stuck then cut it off, the tractor caught fire, then he escaped! Some people aye!

Back