Farmertec MS390 recent users?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried the 038 or 390 setup yet. Something I would like to do at some point. But have built a few 660's and found a few things I like to address in the build stages with the MS660's. The saws I have built have run very well to this point. Pretty impressed overall. I did have to address a couple of things and some might be relevant to this discussion.

1) I use the OEM decomp, pulse line, and chain adjusters for a variety of reasons.
2) On some of the MS660 56mm BB cylinders I had to "deburr" where the spark plug hole intersects the combustion chamber. A little "flashing" sometimes is left in there and could break off.
3) On the 56mm BB's you need to check and see if the piston skirt interferes with the base gasket. You will feel it when your doing your squish test and rotate the piston through BDC without the piston ring....with the piston ring in as well I guess just I always do a check w/o ring to see how much squish the build has and also to be certain I have the clearance at BDC. I used a dremel tool or die grinder to open those gaskets just a little.
4) There is a potential for free porting on the exhaust on any brands 56mm BB kit for MS66o's , Farmertec is no exception. It's a geometry thing as a 56mm piston is not going into the cases. SO a shortened piston skirt is the answer and that potentially leads to a Freeport (exhaust and intake open to the crank case at the same time) issue. There likely will be some....but unless its past .015" or more you probably won't see a problem as its duration is negligible. So far with a base gasket installed the Farmertec 56mm BB's I've used have been minimal or non existent. I had one that was tough to get to idle. Check that on those that failed as that's effectively an air leak if its large enough and has enough duration. OTHER brands I have checked have terrible free porting and I suspect would create an issue.

5) LAST but not least....when replacing a OEM top end on a saw.....did you solve the problem that killed the OEM top end? I've seen guys with a toasted saw drop a new top end on it and toast another one.....because it had other issues. Maybe case seals or intake tract issues.

The builds I have done with those 56mm's so far have been a lot of fun. Sleepers for certain. Hoping at some point Farmertec deburrs that sparkplug hole and raises the floor of the exhaust port just a bit, maybe .025"; maybe even more so I can first eliminate the potential for free porting and second give me a bit of lee way to cut the cylinder base and trim the squish band....as if those monsters need any more compression! So you vendors out there, you know who u are. Please make that request. Either way I'm going to be using those 56mm cylinders but a slight detail change can yeald a lot of rewards down stream for a hack like me. My two are running really strong. And before any one complains to much.. these top ends are like 40 bucks!

But to the question of have I tried the 390 parts yet....no. Looking forward too though as I have dead completely OEM ones on the work bench. Just got wore out in a logging operation.

Als0 if plug threads are leaking... a thread repair kit would add time and material cost, but would get that saw running

A leaking spark plug gasket didn't do that. You got a leak someplace else or a lean tune on that one.
I installed the new cylinder kit and then started the saw. It runs flawlessly, both at the top end and when idling. Acceleration is smooth with no hesitation. The hi-speed setscrew is open a full 1-1/4 turns. Lo-speed is open about the same. Compression is 160 psi.

The only difference I noticed is that the Farmertec seemed just a tad tougher to pull on startup when cold. I think either the owner/operator straight gassed it by accident or someone borrowed the saw without him knowing about it and then filled the tank with straight gas. S__t happens.

I installed the new cylinder kit and then started the saw. It runs flawlessly, both at the top end and when idling. Acceleration is smooth with no hesitation. The hi-speed setscrew is open a full 1-1/4 turns. Lo-speed is open about the same. Compression is 160 psi.

The only difference I noticed is that the Farmertec seemed just a tad tougher to pull on startup when cold. I think either the owner/operator straight gassed it by accident or someone borrowed the saw without him knowing about it and then filled the tank with straight gas. S__t happens.

Earlier you were ready to jump on the bad plug thread/machining as the cause of your scored Farmertech piston.

Now all of a sudden it was straight gassed? Really, uh ok.

Good luck with your new top end on it.

Earlier you were ready to jump on the bad plug thread/machining as the cause of your scored Farmertech piston.

Now all of a sudden it was straight gassed? Really, uh ok.

Good luck with your new top end on it.
Actually, I had no idea what caused it to give up. I'm still guessing that it got straight gassed, only because it shut down in less than three tanks of fuel. Several theories have been proposed. I guess time will tell. Another Farmertec jug that I installed during the same week is running fine today on an MS660 after 100 hours of use by a different operator.

Actually, I had no idea what caused it to give up. I'm still guessing that it got straight gassed, only because it shut down in less than three tanks of fuel. Several theories have been proposed. I guess time will tell. Another Farmertec jug that I installed during the same week is running fine today on an MS660 after 100 hours of use by a different operator.

Listen, I ain't trying to be a ass, but you just keep throwing crap against the wall hoping something might stick, and its in your best interest to find out what the cause of the problem is before you just keep swapping top ends and end up with the same results again and again.

That piston you showed was not straight gassed as far as I'm concerned and it wasn't a defect in the top end used either. Straight gassed gets thrown around here all the time by those who don't know what there looking at most the time.

Did you pressure and vac test the saw before you tore it down either time? Did you do that after the top end was replaced either time?

I hope your leaving to find out the cause of your top end problems. Let me give you a hint, I already listed what is probably the cause if you want to listen.
I do not throw "crap against the wall". That was in your post. I also listened and read all else that you wrote. Failure after one or two tanks of fuel is seldom, if ever, caused by a carb setting or any air leak when an engine is initially running correctly on idle and at the top.

I am leaving this thread, not ArboristSite. Let's drop it and move on.

I have a customer who bought two of these recently.
They have been bulletproof in the past and I recommend (ed) them wholeheartedly, sold a blue bloody billion of them to rave reviews. Fully as good as OEM imho.
Both the kits I sent this customer have air leaks at the threads for the spark plugs. He is applying plenty of torque the plugs as good quality new with the crush washers, and he has noticeable bubbles when tracking down the pressure leak.
Is anyone else seeing this? I am pretty sure these cylinders are from a prior shipment and haven't heard anything else, but on Ebay many customers probably just bolt up the parts and run em, without any testing :(
These are the "new" modern casting with the FT logo on the base.
I don't have any test bed saws for this model to do any testing, I thought we had a golden product here, but now am worried.
Offered the customer full refund or Meteors in Exchange, but also really concerned about selling any more of these now. We have been ordering them about 50 every 6 weeks or so.

Any local Ohio guys have a 290 on the bench that wouldn't mind tossing on of these on and running a pressure vac test for me?
Dave

I'm in Indiana and have a few 310,390,039 all with toasted top ends. So if you want me to test one for you I'm game.

I appreciate it I have a few on the way to guys already and heard back from some more frequent users.
It may be that the flush surface that the plug snugs down against has not been machined on these and had been on the prior batches.
Two guys say it snugs up better without the washer on the plug. I will get it figured out.
thanks for all the advise and offers guys

Latest posts

Back