Fast growing shade tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some recommendations on a fast growing shade tree for the front of my house. My house faces due west and has no shade. The heat is unbearable. I would like to cut a hole in the asphalt parking in front of my home and plant a tree. So it needs to be one with no surface roots and one that won't make a mess or drop nuts on cars. I don't mind leaves in the fall though.

I live west of Atlanta and have mostly clay in the area. Also would like general guide lines for how far to plant from the house and septic system and how big of an exposed area would the tree need to grow. Thanks guys!

I let 3 to 4 volunteer Maples grow on the south side of my house to keep my porch shaded. I rotate cutting them out and let a sucker come back after ward so have continuous shade. Just don't let them get to big ( 5 to 6" diameter is about the biggest I let mine go.) to be a problem and they are wonderful renewable cool shade as they grow back quickly because the root system is already established. While the tree is growing back, that stunts the root growth. Planning on mixing in another species, may be birch. Been doing this 20+ years with no major problems. Did have 1 rocking in high wind enough to rub the roof, so had to tie and anchor it. I keep them trimmed so they lean and the weight is favoring away from the house and aim not to let them get to big. Currently expect I'll need to take 2 of 3 out this fall as they all are close to the same size, 5,6,7 inchs, I let 1 on the end go a bit farther then usual but it is nice is why. Soon as stepping out my door its like being in a cool grove of maples.
Myself would like to know some good shade species with septic friendly roots if such exist. Don't want a root system that will not hold the tree up either. I have a 20ish year old Red Bud very near my old septic tank and so far no problems. Its big enough for a fair bit of small shade now but not the best and it took a while to get this size. I don't expect it will get much bigger.

Not familiar with sweet gum, I know Black Gum the roots travel and new trees shoot out about any where a root is. Maples and most hardwoods around here I am familiar with will shoot new sprouts around the stump,especially young trees. Very old trees not so much..
Had a plumb tree in back my house that the top grew over the metal roof and the heat killed it. A sprout grew from the stump, so I let it go. About 3 years later saw a very nice peach in the grass, was puzzled how it got there until I saw some more peaches up in the tree. Plumb must of been grafted on a peach root and the sprout came from the peach.

Tulip, Elm and Red Maple grow faster then the oaks around here. Live Oak I'm not familiar with. Tulip leaves are a lot of work if you rake. Elm has small leaves, Red Maple is similar to Silver, good cool shade, medium size leaves. Silver Maple is a faster growing tree around here then any you mentioned
If you are transplanting trees that are growing naturally, they will not have the root system that nursery trees generally have. Nursery tree roots are generally pruned so you will have much more feeder roots in the root ball. They will survive and grow much better the first few years.
I would suggest planting 2 or more trees with the intention of thinning them out to 1 when they start taking up to much space. Have a fast growing species for quick shade, then a strong branched long lived variety to take over when its big enough. See what the nursery's grow and sell in your area and get their advice and I would get a good tree book to help you base your top picks.

If you want fast, and can tolerate some side effects, pawlownia.
Best to get specific on the "side effects." I have two in my yard... that have started many sprouts. The flowers are beautiful and they smell wonderful, but the sticky seed pods are a royal pita... especially the mess they make when they all fall off the tree.

Great suggestions. Now I just have to make sure I pick the best places to put them. I like the idea of planting 2 or 3 together and trimming the smaller ones out later. I'm thinking I will try the red maples first and see if they will transplant. I have a few of those. Might try the tulip poplars or live oaks in another area. At least I know they can grow in my soil.

I would shy away from tulip poplars. Their branches are weak. If you plant one with nothing else around them they make a nice wide canopy that is pleasing to look at. But those long branches like to bust in the wind and from their own weight. Tulip poplars do best in the woods where they can self-prune and grow straight up. I think red maples are a very good choice. You might want to research them though since we've had a lot the ones planted around here get some kind of disease where the trunk looks like it has exploded. If you can find a healthy one in the woods I would go the transplant route.

Back