Fast Help from the Stihl Gurus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Readily admit when it comes to saws, I'm no Stihl expert.

That said my nephew is down to 4 days a week and has landed a weekend job helping his friend and father clean up tops to sell as firewood. He needs a saw and the first suggestion from my wife and her sister, "Can he borrow one of yours", was immediately put to rest.

He's tracked down an 034 that I agreed to go check out with him this evening.

Now that you know the story please let me know if there were any chronic issues with that saw or is there anything in particular that I should look for?

I'm bringing my tach and compression tester , so I should be ok there. Anyone fill me in as to psi and high and low speed rpms?
Did they have adjustible oilers? Where is the adjuster located?

I'm assuming parts are expensive but available.

To all that reply thanks in advance for the help. I'll keep you posted.

Take Care

Paul001

Paul001

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great saw. Pretty easy to work on, parts readily available. Was one of my favorites for a small chucking saw.

Compression, pull the muffler and look at the piston, see how it's running (rpm's). Most everything after that is pretty easy and fairly cheap.

Could always pull the flood it out while trying to start it and beat em down on price :)

7T rim, 3/8", .50ga with a 20" bar and he'll enjoy the saw.

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite

He's tracked down an 034 that I agreed to go check out with him this evening.

Now that you know the story please let me know if there were any chronic issues with that saw or is there anything in particular that I should look for?

Great saw, but also make sure the rubber is good or be prepared to replace them. (ie fuel line, boot and impulse hose)