Fast Tach issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just started doing this same thing last time I used it a few weeks ago. I was thinking the battery was dieing? Haven't had time to get a new battery. But now after this thread I'm starting to think something might be wrong.

Emailed them about the issues I am having with mine.... crickets.. No love for us in Canada I guess! We shall boycott you all with withholding our beer, maple syrup and women!

Emailed them about the issues I am having with mine.... crickets.. No love for us in Canada I guess! We shall boycott you all with withholding our beer, maple syrup and women!
No "like" button available...so will say..."yeppers"..!! - -You can google if foreign to the Southern lingo.
:cheers:
J2F

tach issues

I got mine a couple of years ago and same thing from day one. It would work but not well. Lot of crazy numbers and then it would work. I wish I would have thought of trying to get a replacement. Let us know how it turns out if you get another.

I bought the oregon tach from baylies, cause it was listed as
taking a 9 volt battery,alot are throwaways after the internal
battery fais and all of the circuits are locked up in epoxy
the unit has 2 settings ,one for idle and one for high revs
plus a battery life indicator its very
sensitive and reliable.In canada it was 263.00 USA 140.00:msp_smile:

The Fast-Tach has been the main-stay tach for some time here on AS chainsaw forum.
(Wow...sooo high in Canada..!!)

I worked for an international company for many years and they were always shifting manufacturing....

It was sooo stupid generally trying to reduce fractional cost and then piss off buyers with bad product...
and have to replace the faulty product with a good one. - -You would just have to experience how an international
company operates to maybe understand...until you actually see it - and you would likely find it confusing.

Like my second wife...graduated second in her class at Florida State...and a Mensa member..genius..??
Yet in the real world..??..she could drive a car with a 4-speed shifter - I buy her a 10 speed bicycle.
Now the 4-speed you could press in the clutch at any time and put into any gear - - No so the 10 speed bike...
She could just NOT grasp the concept that the forwand sprocket had to be moving forward to shift the gears.
And ya know...you try to explain..it's taken as insulting...soo it's a Bad day for sure..!!

Too many "tears in my beers" for today..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
The Fast Tach does have a replacable battery, a major reason I decided to spring for it. After spending the $85 I do expect the thing to work correctly which is why I contacted the manufacturer (DTI) to get it resolved.

that big Oregon tach is of no use for chainsaws. or any 'small engine'. way too inaccurate. let alone too big and gangly to use. at my nearest shop, the fast-tach Is just under $100. my last stihl edt8 was only $88+tax at a stihl dealer. and I don't have to push any buttons to change settings.

DTI has always treat me first class. They do stand behind their product. Don't hold the reading end too close to the plug. Mine is 4 yrs old and works great. Fast refresh rate and holds max rpm which is very helpful.

Instead of slamming them on the forum, just call them and talk to them they will help you.

I was the testing a weedeater with an exposed spark plug cable, and holding it too close made it go wonky.

Held it further away, and it worked fine.

As TK stated, maybe it being an exposed plug wire instead of underneath a plastic shroud, as is usually the case, causes this?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Don't hold the reading end too close to the plug.
Tried holding it all over the place. Too close and it resets itself... too far and nothing (the instructions say 0-12"). Even at 4-8 inches it will continually go back to 0000 on the display. This happened on the 4 machines I tried it with. Something definitely isn't right. All the videos I've seen with guys using this tach show them holding it with their left hands while gripping the saw. When I do that it just resets.

Instead of slamming them on the forum, just call them and talk to them they will help you.
I haven't seen anyone slam them. I've been more than satisfied with the way they've handled this for me so far. My tach is on it's way back to them as we speak...

Fast Tach quality

Looking forward of the repair and any feedback from the Co. on why this one was wonky.
Good luck with it.

I just bought a used Fast Tach and will try it this weekend. Hope it works like most of them do.

Arrow13

Received an email from DesignTech today... they're sending me a new tach. I'll report on how it works when it arrives.

Received an email from DesignTech today... they're sending me a new tach. I'll report on how it works when it arrives.

Lucky you!! I have not heard anything about mine. Quite a few emails have been sent no reply. At all. None ... Being in Canada I suppose is a bad thing? :msp_sad:

I to got a bad one. It figures this thread started the day after I ordered mine. It wouldn't even display all 4 zeros or the one. Doesn't seem like the QC dept was working that day. I just sent in today and we'll see what happens.

Jeremy

Hey fellers ..........

Mine was doing the crazy thing as well, seemed to be switching modes, so I loosened up the screws in the rear, seems the screws were too tight and they were causing the button to be depressed enough that the tach was thinking that I was playing Billy buttons.

No issues after I loosened the rear screws slightly

Give it a shot, it just might be the cure, although I am somewhat disappointed at having to repair mine at all !!

I ordered one a couple weeks ago. Seems to be working fine. Actually, easy to use AND made in America.

Mine was doing the crazy thing as well, seemed to be switching modes, so I loosened up the screws in the rear, seems the screws were too tight and they were causing the button to be depressed enough that the tach was thinking that I was playing Billy buttons.

No issues after I loosened the rear screws slightly
I actually tried mine without the top cover thinking the button might be a problem but it still wonked out randomly.

Mine was acting funny on my 2150 clearing out and such. I ended up holding it with the arrow pointed away from the saw and it works great. On a MS390 it worked fine with the arrow pointed to the saw. I figured it was just a learning curve.

Latest posts

Back