Faulty oil cap on 550XPG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well yesterday while cutting load #8 of the season the cap on the saw was out, oil had thoroughly run down my left leg making my bibs even more disgusting than they already were, (according to my wife).:wtf:

It seems that if an imbecile is allowed to fuel/oil the saw, there is no provision for insuring that the cap is put back in.:dizzy: This allowed the oil to run out when operated. The environmental impact was small. :oops:

I have been very critical of Stihl flippy caps and despise them. The flippy caps are Stihl's answer to something that was not a problem. Well maybe the EPA can come up with a fix so that a calamity like this does not happen again. :crazy2:

Signed, Mr. Dumass

I'm sure that either OSHA or the EPA can come up with a warning light or an ignition cut off that will prevent the saw from working if the oil fill cap is not secure.

That should add only another 15 pounds and/or $300 to the saw.

Then we can start working on unsecure oil cap over-rides that the owner can use to modify his saw, but it will void the manufacture's warranty.

Or maybe I can just wash those bibs. Whichever.

We all need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

That reminds me of a parable:

It takes a big man to be able to cry, but an even bigger man to laugh at that man.:guitar:

I prefer the flippy caps over the regular screw caps. I've yet to have a flippy cap that I had to grab a screwdriver or pliers to remove... and that usually mangles the cap. Some brands of saws seem to be really bad about the caps locking on even when they weren't bubba tightened.

Husky answer to the flippy cap is a good one. You can go with the flippy or switch back to the conventional one. I have flippys on the 562 and 288.

181w9k.jpg

I have done the same recently! It serves as a good reminder!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
I have done it twice on two different ms460's, once it was probably 0 deg out and I didn't have enough clothes on, damn my pant leg got cold.

I have done it twice on two different ms460's, once it was probably 0 deg out and I didn't have enough clothes on, damn my pant leg got cold.
When you said it was cold it reminded me of a buddy of mine who does commercial concrete. The of the guys did this on a stihl cutter with a steel cutting blade. The bad thing is it was the gas cap(not sure if it had flippy caps or not), the guy is still recovering from the burns. As soon as he set the blade on the steel the sparks ignited the gas. The bummer is if he would have waited just a little longer the saw would have ran out of fuel before he touched the steel.
Thats a bad bad day.

Back