Favorite Bar Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite length bar for your Loggin' or Arborist saw

• 16" - 18"

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • 20" - 24"

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • 28" - 32"

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 36" - 48" ?

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
24 inch

Hello,
I really like a 24 inch bar. I like to hinge so I just cut my face notch out poke the bar through to the otherside and cut right out the back. Quick, easy and painless for the tree and me. I try to always make the same deal with every tree fall. Go the way I want and I will cut you clean and quick. I like the 24 inch bar for topping as well. Whats everybody else think? Nice thread Stihl Magnum, later Wade Huggins

on my ms460 i just use a 20'' but i am thinking about switching to a 24'', on the 066G i run a 28'' for the big stuff.

I thought this might be something good to see what everyone really likes to use,my self I use both 20" and a 32" on my PP385XP but am ordering a 24" Cannon Super Bar for it Monday,I run a 28" Oregon Pro Bar on my 064AV these are my two main saw most of the other have either a 18" or 20" on them.

Later Rob..

Cutting timber i like to run a 24-28" bar.
Firewood ya cant beat a 20"

bigger timber bigger bars

I suppose if we had bigger timber in the area I would us a bigger bar but for the most part a 24 inch bar will poke through 90 percent of the timber I cut. I use to always run a 20 inch bar because I was brought up cutting and applying different stlyes of felling, which most of them now are considered dangerous by most. When we started contract cutting and cutting alot of smaller timber I moved over to the hinge because it was so consistent and I didnt have as many smaller trees wanting to get hung up in other trees and preventing them from falling. I have really grown fond of a 24 inch bar, my 4 pd ax and 2 hardhead wedges. My 372 carries the bar very well plenty of power, man! I am ready to go to the woods right now just typing about this, later Wade

Most of my cutting is for firewood so I like 18" or 20"
For dropping trees or bigger stuff in general I use a 24"

I don't do much cutting, but I've ended up liking bars in the 20-24" range. I have a 24" on my 111, even though it's more suited to something around 42".

Run 28" Oregon bars on the 046s' for falling, limbing and bucking. 32" bar on the 395xp for falling the oversize trees and some bucking. For falling and bucking in the woods the longer bars are safer and more efficient,you don't want to split the ends of the log when you're bucking.

Matt

I like to use a 18 to 20 incher for general farm use. I rarely find myself needing anything larger.

Bars

When i cut timber everyday 15 years ago it was 36 plus , but. i was in big wood .Then my dad showed me a dozer seat and a logging truck and i picked up 65lbs. and it never went away. that was back in the 076 and 090 days

I use a 24" for everything on my 044. I mostly cut fire wood although I do a fair amount of bucking felled trees. The 24 seems to balance the saw perfect and I am only 5'7'' so I dont have to bend when limbing with it. On my 260 I run a 16".

Last edited:
I like to use a 20" on my 357XPG for the smaller stuff and limbing I have'nt done to much bucking with this saw yet but I'm sure it would blast right through no problem..I usually keep this saw in the cab or behind the cab of the chipper so I can cut tops at the landing when needed..The 064AV usually resides in the cab of the skidder for backup with the PP385XP,I have been thinking of a way to make a rack to sit or hang the saws on inside the skidder..Any ideas??

Later Rob.

3 saws(Stihls)with 14"-16" bars for tree tops and general use.1 Saw(Husky)with 20" bar for larger diameter bucking.

Rick

Well it looks like most of you like the 20-24" bars sounds to me like a 24" is a really good all around bar to have,I have'nt run too many saws with one but I'm buying one tomorrow for the PP385..

Later Rob..

24 inch bar

Stihl Magnum,
I was raised using a 20 inch bar my dad always preached to me never use more bar than you needed, he would always amaze people with what he could cut down size wize with a 16 inch bar he always taught me to take advantage of the spots in between the root wall of the tree and even with a 20 inch bar if something was just a little big I could always double notch the front to reach back in and throat it out to make sure the heart was cut out. However, since we started contract cutting I really got to like the hinge so I steped up to the 24 inch bar. It really works great for just poking through and cutting out the back it also makes it easier to top and break up a little rush or to reach up and clip off a limb that keeps dragging along side your skidder or dozer. Take care enjoy your new bar Wade Huggins

Latest posts

Back