Favorite Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day we were moving logs with the log cart, and I thought, man, if this broke today, I'd have to buy another one tomorrow. So what piece of equipment don't you want to live without. Now, I'm not talking chainsaws or bucket trucks, just the little "gadgets" that make life easier. Pete

mini skid steer - it's not exactly a 'little' gadget as far as price goes but, at only 2500#, it's sure worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned for cleaning up debris in back yards and tight spots. My deteriorating back simply couldn't live without it!

also, silky hyauchi 21' telescoping pole saw. Probably the best lower-priced tool I've ever purchased.

my Jameson setup. use 3 six foot poles with a hook and saw. for extra reach i have the 2 four footers from my big shot. thats 26' for those counting.

hey arbor pro. how you like the hyauchi? ive been thinking about grabbing me one of those. how light is it? does it flex alot fully extended?

We were using the Jameson Poles just yesterday for City of hot Springs. There lace bark Elms. they planted on the sidewalk had grown all over the buildings They couldn't reach in from the Street with a Aerial Lift. We go up from the sidewalk 2 ,3 Floors with the Loooog poles and a pruner back 3 feet now. Always had 4 6" ers in my kit over the years have picked up a few more of odd lengths. I used to lay one sideways on a Raco stumper to help back up, it was to narrow to see in the mirror's

We were using the Jameson Poles just yesterday for City of hot Springs. There lace bark Elms. they planted on the sidewalk had grown all over the buildings They couldn't reach in from the Street with a Aerial Lift. We go up from the sidewalk 2 ,3 Floors with the Loooog poles and a pruner back 3 feet now. Always had 4 6" ers in my kit over the years have picked up a few more of odd lengths. I used to lay one sideways on a Raco stumper to help back up, it was to narrow to see in the mirror's

you can actually put as many pole as you need (or have lol) on a jameson. just get it pointed at the limb your going for and keep adding to the bottum. ive had atleast 5 6's and a couple 8's on at once. ive hefted the 5 6'ers from the ground before....... man is that fun. by adding it to the bottum you eliminate some of the elbow grease required

Cheap, but great !

My Fiskars hand pruning saw. As far as I am concerned, it is the best that money can buy for saveral good reasons. I have only been able to find them at Walmart!

1. The teeth are flat-topped like a chainsaw, with alternating offset and a curved cutting edge similar to chainsaw chain. Ther are EASY to sharpen with the same 5/32 round file that you use on the top-handle climbing saw. Since they are so easy to sharpen, you never have a dull pruning saw.

2. There are not nearly as many viscious triangular teeth on it, so it is less likely to cut you if dropped or mis-handled.

3. With fewer teeth on it, it feeds much smoother in a large cut, and never clogs the cut with sappy sawdust.

4. It has just the right amount of curvature, spring, and rigidity, so it cuts very nicely. For a 3/4" - 1" branch, it usually takes one pull to snip off cleanly.

5. CHEAP: about $19.00 at Walmart, as I recall.

My grapple truck. I call it the bull dawg cause it is a Mack.
Also silky hiuchee misspelled and I don't care lol! Oh yeah
a ball point pen is always nice to have on the job but sometimes
hard to keep up with:laugh:

Hey Rope! I think your little bitty grapple truck was deliberately excluded from this conversation.

Not that I wouldn't like to have one like it. Someday. When I figure out how to make money doing this stuff.

So far, my employees are making me broke, and I haven't figured out how to replace them with better versions. Less than 1/2 came to work today.

my Jameson setup. use 3 six foot poles with a hook and saw. for extra reach i have the 2 four footers from my big shot. thats 26' for those counting.

hey arbor pro. how you like the hyauchi? ive been thinking about grabbing me one of those. how light is it? does it flex alot fully extended?

I've had the silky hyauchi for 4 years now. I bought it to replace my ARS after the extension locks kept stripping out (grrrrrr). The ARS was great for bigger limbs (stouter blade) but, the hyauchi blade is also very good - just not as fast on limbs over 4" diameter. I'm on my second blade with the hyauchi and can't believe I haven't broken one yet. I've bent that thing almost 90 degrees and abused the heck out of it. The original blade still cut fine but, after hearing other forum members talk about replacing blades almost weekly, I figured mine must be getting dull after 3 years of part-time use. :)

It makes a great cut and I couldn't be happier with the hyauchi. As far as flex on the saw - let's just say that I wouldn't want to be cutting 6" diameter ash all day long with it fully extended. However, branches up to 4" are a breeze to cut through when fully extended. Obviously, the trick is to try to get some down pressure on the wood. If you're cutting hardwood and standing almost directly underneath the limb, it requires a lot more effort than if you can stand away from it a bit and get on top of the branch more. No different really than using a Jameson setup.

As far as weight goes - I find it very easy to use. But, use one all day, day after day, and you'll build the shoulders and biceps up fast! I once pruned 30 mature trees of various hardness over a 3-day period. I was able to reach half-way up each tree with the hyauchi before having to climb them to get the tops. At the end of that job, I know I put on at least 5 pounds of shoulder muscle.

At $199 from sherrill supply, you really can't go wrong with the hyauchi IMO.

Last edited:
have your ol lady help like me and rope do lol

My wife has a MUCH better job than I can offer her. That, and she wilts like pansies in July if the temperature goes over 80 degrees. She is hell on wheels for housework if the AC is left on, and she pays the bills, so I leave her alone.

If she didn't have a better job than me, I would really be in a bad spot without her health insurance.

loop runners and carabiners are the some of the cheapest and simplest but much needed items. for limbs/wood under 4,000lbs I use them on just about everything. Bigger than that out comes the whoopie sling and block.

Felco 2's. I love those small easy money jobs.

2 pairs - both from about 1984. Still have them and use them daily.

They are CORONA Felco's

Notice the stamped names, both on the same piece.

:)

attachment.php

Can i say " what in the heck are you planning to do with ALL of that?" without offending you... good sir?
I am pretty " immediate" when it comes to replacing thing worn or broken cause I NEED it all baby BUT the one thing ( its plural so if it don't count let me know) is....................... ROPES!
I'll get some schmuck to get the wood out if I need to but what I REALLY REALLY rely on is is what I hooked is gonna hold.
I usually have my eight foot pole and head handy for a quick jab here or there or for the ground work. I make no plans to tote anything longer upstairs though I am equipped to pole prune small trees REAL good. Its called an A-frame strapped to the Dingo.:)

loop runners and carabiners are the some of the cheapest and simplest but much needed items. for limbs/wood under 4,000lbs I use them on just about everything. Bigger than that out comes the whoopie sling and block.

Do you really put that much weight on that stuff? The web strap loop runners rated at 1200 lbs or so? Even a bigger strap with just a beener doesn't sound good for 2 ton of eager energy. Maybe to tie off but maybe not to let a rope run through it.

tenex, octogon wood pole with the hook tip blade. my geko 2's:clap: love splicing every thing. sugoi hand saw. spider jak, custom rope gide, arborwear tec pants. man i could go on and on.

Last edited:
Can i say " what in the heck are you planning to do with ALL of that?" without offending you... good sir?
I am pretty " immediate" when it comes to replacing thing worn or broken cause I NEED it all baby BUT the one thing ( its plural so if it don't count let me know) is....................... ROPES!
I'll get some schmuck to get the wood out if I need to but what I REALLY REALLY rely on is is what I hooked is gonna hold.
I usually have my eight foot pole and head handy for a quick jab here or there or for the ground work. I make no plans to tote anything longer upstairs though I am equipped to pole prune small trees REAL good. Its called an A-frame strapped to the Dingo.:)

sorry for the confusion. thats only from the ground lol. i use a double or single jameson in the tree sometimes though.

My favorite would be the big shot.

ive had mine about 3 weeks and still havent used it :censored:

am waiting on a line tamer from sherrill to come in before i start using it. im not down with stuff 150ft of throwline in a bag 6 inches at a time lol

Back