Feel like im losing it.... suggestions for a temperamental new bar/chain....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I bought a bar & chain combo from a site sponsor (im not naming names because they have been nothing short of great and I dont believe they are at fault). I want help though as im not sure if there's something I can do before i go back to them.
I (obviously) own and have run lots of saws. I have bought plenty of bars & chains & even a few combos. Ive never seen what is happening with this one before though.

Its a german-made 20" carleton. 3/8" .58 with a replaceable sprocket tip. When it arrived, everything looked great.

When I put the chain on the bar, it fits perfectly on the sprocket. But it will barely fit - or not fit at all - in certain parts of the bar. I thought perhaps a .50 bar was attached to a .58 sprocket, but when I look at the part number stamped on the bar, it clearly shows it being a .58 The chain is .58 for sure as I tried with a different one. A .50 chain moves freely in the bar without much wiggle though.

I talked to the distributor & they said this is something they've never seen before & without hesitation offered to ship me a new one. Great, I thought.

New one arrived.... same thing!!
Is there something Im missing? I mean Ive never seen a new chain not move freely in a new bar, but maybe ive been lucky in the past and/or other manufacturers break in their bars or something?

Id love to try something before I go back to the place I order it & say "guess what...."

Last edited:
Measurement?

Check the rail channel width on the nose portion with a feeler gauge, then run the gauge down the length of the bar. You should be able to get a measurement number to see what's going on and to find any tight spots. If there is paint or something in the channel, the gauge blade works well to scrape it out at the same time.

I will bet its Baileys and the issue is they(Carlton) went a little crazy with the clearcoat...I bought a 30" for milling from them, they were $20, how could I pass that up...had the same issue as you are describing...

I have been running a 72RD in mine...I figured it would have worn down by now...

I bet if you run the .050 chain in there for a bit it will clean out the groove.

Check the rail channel width on the nose portion with a feeler gauge, then run the gauge down the length of the bar. You should be able to get a measurement number to see what's going on and to find any tight spots. If there is paint or something in the channel, the gauge blade works well to scrape it out at the same time.

Nope, bad advice. A bar nose is .063 to fit all chain gauges. It is only the actual bar groove the matters, well and the chain of course.

Nope, bad advice. A bar nose is .063 to fit all chain gauges. It is only the actual bar groove the matters, well and the chain of course.

FACT. It is even stamped on my Tsumura/ Total nose that is on my 262.

In case its a Carlton Tsumura bar, Tsumura makes .050/.058 tips AND .063 tips. They are the only company I have ever heard of who make tips in two gauges. I make sure I only order in .063 so they fit all the bars and so no faller in the bush ends up with an .058 tip and an .063 chain.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back