felling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky nut said:
...big dogs and wont go back to the small stock dogs...

Big dogs are the only way to go! I just got these for my 460 and 660. I had a set of aftermarket 4 pts on my 460 and 440, but my dealer just got the 5 pointers. They dwarf the 4 pts I had. I put a stock Stihl dog down for comparison.

But I digress....

Jeff

I agree with jeff big dawgs only way to go. I have tried falling with stock ones, and they just wont grab, and hold.

Yeah I just got a set of those pro dogs from baileys on my 046 as well I really like them but they stick down so far the saw wont sit flat!

Big dogs are not necessary on thinner barked (Oftentimes hardwoods) and smaller and medium diameter trees.
Yes, they can get in the way and even reduce the effective cutting length of the bar.
On the west coast they are popular and appropriate. If I was cutting in the Mid-West, firewood from stems typically under 18", I would not bother with them.

woodfarmer said:
i've decided to stay with stock dogs due to the type of wood i cut, justin thats a neat scrench holder, did you make it or buy it?

Wood farmer I purchased the scrench holder from Baileyshttp://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm
I really love that little thing, I always have my scrench with me when I need it, unless I am running a different saw or took it off that saw to use on a different and didn't replace it. The only thing that sucks is that that is the only saw that I have that the holder will fit on or I would outfit alll my saws with them. They fit on pro model Stihls with halfwraps and Huskys too I guess as long as it has a metal handlebar like the one on my saw tin to round. Jeff I can understand what you are saying with the 32" my bar tip always used to be in the dirt. Only problem is I have no need to run that bar most of the time.

Sorry wood farmer, I thought the link would go right to the product but it did not look under Chainsaw parts and tools, Then click chainsaw parts and accs. it is near the bottom

Latest posts

Back