Felling poll - Have your say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you fell these palms?

• Total voters
The author of this thread and poll has arbitrarily used conjured scenarios that suit his distorted perspective, not all options have been explored nor methods divulged.

The author has taken material out of context and applied them in a fashion that befits his agenda.

At not stage did I mention using only wedges, that's his poor comprehension.

Also be advised readers, the author is a Jim's Trees Franchise Owner, not a qualified arborist and is coming from a half full perspective, he simply is not versed in advanced felling techniques or qualified to discuss felling options. He also is not up to speed on current Queensland OHS.

The skills of tree workers vary greatly, beyond knowledge is practice and experience, what may seem a difficult task for some is a breeze for others. Regardless of the authors rantings he has yet not been able to establish one breach of OHS issues within my posts and reasoning of that thread, although he has conjured some up to suit his ill will.

To determine all options from the schematics provided is impossible, one factor that is always difficult to determine in pictures is weather, wind being the main culprit.

Most good tree felling guides, books and tutors stress the importance of evaluating all variables, having backups, minimizing physical effort and taking a productive but safe path. Those can only be evaluated on site, the lower the skill of the persons making the evaluations the higher the risk appears to be for those who choose differently due to advanced experience and knowledge.

2 approaches? I don't think so. Don't ever let yourself get cornered into such demands on a job site. :deadhorse:

DAMN you arborists are some snobby ####ers!

put a face in it/them. determine which trees you can set up (back cut) then find one that you can get them all to go with. maybe you will need wedges maybe not. All I see is a bush looking thing next to a house... As long as you arent gonna take out a line and you know you will have good enough wood to get lift out of a wedge, why do it any other way?

O ya I forgot for a second, you are arborists hahahahahahaha....

I think you should use the tree jack, I saw axmen do it it must be the way to go

SC_J45_L.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna stick with my giant pompous windbag approach.

That would probaby work however should another pompous windbag unexspectedly show up and start blowing from the opposite side we might have something of a problem.
Never any offense Ekka, we luv ya buddy. Holla back yo!

That would probaby work however should another pompous windbag unexspectedly show up and start blowing from the opposite side we might have something of a problem.
Never any offense Ekka, we luv ya buddy. Holla back yo!

Hmm.... well, I guess it would be the ground guys job to keep the felling zone free of any opposing giant pompous windbags then.

Since I know nothing about cutting down palms, you can take this for what it is worth.

I would have brought enough orange cones and barricades to make sure I could drop them, then I would do what ever worked fastest to get off site. I presume that all the traffic can be diverted, held off, or postponed for long enough to crash them, either one at a time, or in a bunch.

Otherwise it's obvious: piece them down, working around the hideous risk of being caught under a falling skirt of palm fronds.

BTW: what kind of palms are they? I was wasting some time researching this comment, and I discovered there is an awful lot to know. There is only one palm tree outside in Kansas City, and it is made out of aluminum.

5 Syagrus romanzoffiana and 2 Archontophoenix alexandrae

If your keen to learn about palms you might try this site. Lots of species and some great photographs. http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/

i agree 100%`

Where is?: Rope area off area & take it down in sections due to the hazards listed.

The aerial view does not show the interlocking sections of the trees/palms. Thus making it impossible to cast a vote on the options listed.

an aerial photo was useless.at least by itself.

Screw it.

Use the Michibilly approach.

Wait till Saturday morning at sun up so's ya piss of all the neighbors, bring at least a case of Beer and a fifth of cheap whiskey, a small tractor and a couple of 1/2" cables.

Drink half the beer while deep notching and rigging the palms with a really dull chain on the wildthingy.

Encircle the palms with the cables like a big lasso and tie off to the tractor.
Point the tractor towards the bus stop and set the throttle for WFO, dump the clutch and jump off.

Finish the rest of the beer while waiting for your wood burning buddies and inlaws to show up. Give the fifth of Whiskey to your tractor dealer when he shows up with the low boy to haul it in for repairs.

Done.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ekka's approach appeared reasonable in the video. Should work for every other palm situation, right? I mean, they are just a grass.

it looked like a 12 year that was pinching a ****, running a saw. All that running around and around the tree, the ropes, the pullies, the machines. Stupid as can be..

Ekka's approach appeared reasonable in the video. Should work for every other palm situation, right?I mean, they are just a grass.

Well the one who started this poll, mows grass, so if the shoe fits..Jim!

Finish the rest of the beer while waiting for your wood burning buddies and inlaws to show up. ...

Dingeryote

I kinda like that approach, except there is no reason to get off the tractor. Any self-respecting hillbilly or redneck would stay on the tractor just to enjoy the ride.

Do palm trees turn into firewood? Is it worth cutting up for that?

Or is that a moot point, since they only grow far enough south that you don't need the winter heat?

I kinda like that approach, except there is no reason to get off the tractor. Any self-respecting hillbilly or redneck would stay on the tractor just to enjoy the ride.

Do palm trees turn into firewood? Is it worth cutting up for that?

Or is that a moot point, since they only grow far enough south that you don't need the winter heat?

Michibillys would burn palm trees if they grew here...some would burn 'em Green, and if not for heat, in the backyard come summer.:D

Getting off the tractor is important. Ya can't get too far away from the beer and the Whiskey or somebody will steal it, and ya don't want to get caught operating a vehicle under the influence while on probation for DUI.:D

Things have evolved around these parts, back in the day when blasting was taught by the Agricultural extension, those Palms woulda gotten 2 sticks ea. of Hercules 50% as a pusher charge under em', and the whole neighborhood would be upset there wasn't enough beer to go around. LOL!!!

Ekka makes some pretty work out of those slimy things don't he?
Ausies just don't know how to have fun I reckon.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

michibillies are starting to sound a lot like all the guys I hang with down here in VA give us enough beer and we will do just about anything. Some of us don't even require the beer to be stupid. LOL

michibillies are starting to sound a lot like all the guys I hang with down here in VA give us enough beer and we will do just about anything. Some of us don't even require the beer to be stupid. LOL

It's all good untill somebody loses a dog in a divorce.:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm confuzed:dizzy:

Was that vid the group we are talking about/polling about?

Pulling out one at a time looked a little more time consuming, but a bit safer than group felling. Perhaps easier cleanup as well to not have the big mess to try and pull apart.

Couple things I have encountered taking down groups of trees. If you lasso them all and pull to tight, really changes the forces on the felling cut/hinge areas. Especially all those around the outside of the group.

If the hinges are not all aimed exactly in the same direction, some try to move to center and others try to move out of the group as they fall. Once I had group of honey locust stop about 20 degrees into fall, what a mess that turned into.

I took three 20' tops off of a codom spruce once, all three lined up perfectly and it was one of those "WISH I HAD A HELMET CAM" moments. Poetry in motion...I replay that little film loop in my head often. :)

Latest posts

Back