fiber board baffle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slug

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I broke the fiber board baffle on my wood burning insert. The replacement part is $70. I'm too cheap for that. Does anyone know what material it could be? It looks like cement board but is a lot lighter and brittle. It goes under a ceramic blanket in the top inside of my stove and is about 1/2" thick.

Last edited:
While I don't know the exact specs of the board you're talking about, I've found mcmaster-carr has quite a variety of refractory boards with various specs relatively cheap. If you can figure out your specs, you may be able to get it cheaper there (or get a more durable replacement for the same price).

Hmmm, lighter and more brittle than cement board? Sounds like cement board that has been exposed to high dry temperatures :)
JC

After searching around on google I'm pretty convinced it's ceramic fiber board. Anyone know of a source to buy ceramic fiber board.

p.s. Quadrafire's customer service ain't so great.

The 'cheap' method would be to go to your local home center and pick up a 3'x5' sheet of 1/2" cement fiber board (the stuff without the mesh on the outside), take it home and cut it to size (score and snap like sheetrock), install, and away you go.

That stove should have a lifetime warranty, if you use something "other" than factory parts you may void this.

I have a Quad 5100I.:clap:

After searching around on google I'm pretty convinced it's ceramic fiber board. Anyone know of a source to buy ceramic fiber board.

p.s. Quadrafire's customer service ain't so great.

My old Quad had a steel baffle w/ some rockwool or other ceramic batting up on top of it. I was green and in my first year of burning left the air controls pushed all the way in to get a new fire going while I put the kids to bed. An hour later, I noticed a noise... oops. I ran down and the top surface around the pipe was glowing deep cherry. Inside it had to have been approaching white. And the baffle was warped like a state campground firepit grill. Well, at the end of the burning season, I started looking around - and even investigated having a plate made (3/8" steel cut to size with one 30° bend ain't cheap...) And somehow I learned exactly what 'raisedbywolves' said: lifetime warranty and your local dealer is the rep. I called the dealer and he said, sure bring the old one down. He exchanged it - no questions asked. Sold me a magnetic stack therm. and lectured me a bit on how I should keep a fire and warned me that I only get one baffle replacement under that warranty sent me on my way.

Sure do miss that house and the Quadrafire...

Latest posts

Back