Figure 8 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukesland77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can i use an aluminum figure eight with a steel carabiner for tree work. Im not sure if i trust aluminum.
Thanks

Is that like not trusting aluminum boats, engine blocks or airplanes?

Fig. 8's worst property is rope twisting IMLHO. To minimize, make sure rope has as many twists out of it to start with. Stiffer line traps more twists in it while coming down i think. Also, end of line hanging free; allows some twists to work out; while a pile of loose line on the ground traps more twists into line/ doesn't let twists walk off line. Just like when storing line.

i think also that keeping the slack / "Bitters" below 8; inline(180 deg.) to tensioned line / "Standing Part" above 8 gives less twists in the line. Where as holding Bitters after 8 perpendicular(90deg) to Standing Part above 8; gives more twists IMLHO. Just as bent in upside down "U" (0 deg.)for lowering Loads gives more twists too i think.

Deaf 8's allows line to dead lock /form Cow Hitch too easily without expert villagence to prevent it; especially at Zer0 degrees/upside down "U" for lowering Loads.

Last edited:
Most aluminum 8’s are rated at 35kN-40kN (7700-8800 lbs), that enough for a personal descender. If you are using the 8 to lower tree parts a steel one would be better because it will wear less than the aluminum one. I don’t see any problems with an aluminum eight with a steel carabineer.
I personally use a steel eight as a repelling device with an aluminum carabineer. Although I think I’m going to get an aluminum one because I don’t like that heavy thing hitting me in the backside as it is attached to my saddle when I am ascending.

Yeah, as my friend TreeBarber says, aluminum is just fine, though steel will wear better. If you're working in dirty circumstances, it can make a difference. You'll see aluminum wear if you're passing a dirty rope. Rock climbers that use 8's use aluminum because of their weight. They're plenty, plenty strong. Steel is used in rescue instances because of it's extreme strength and resistance to wear.

There's no problem trusting aluminum. If it wears, get a new one.

Jeff

well before webbing bridges were developed on harness it was ally crabs on steel maillon or d's so i guess its the same thing and should be fine.

Back