File Size for RSC Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have always been a "take them to the shop" kind of guy with the old saw. I had about a dozen chains in rotation and would take in 8-10 when I got to the end so I still had a few for the weekend.

Now that I am running the RSC chain on a 361, they are a bit pricey to buy a bunch right away. Besides, after reading here, I really need to learn how to file. It seems prudent to touch up whenever I fill the gas. I looked at the Stihl PDF on sharpening and it didn't list the RSC chain so I didn't know which size file to use. Also, if there is a "favorite" file guide out there, please let me know. I'm an ex-tool and die maker, so the actual filing thing isn't an issue. Just what the best tools for the trade are.

Finally, when setting the rakers, the depth guide is just for visual reference only, not a "file down to the guide" kind of thing, right? If it was tough enough to stand up to filing down to it, I'd assume it would be tough on files.

Gussing that your running 3/8th pitch chain, your going to get good results with a 7/32th (5.2mm) file.

Looking at the chain from the front can give you an idea to the DG height, GD guides are better to get a feel or visual then fileing while there in place on the chain, measure a lot of them often and you will get a feel for there height.

I think that the guy that learns to free-hand his chain has a lot of advantage over a fixture-filer, different strocks for different folks I'm sure.

Another trick you might want to try is a Carlton File-o-Plate, Baileys might stock them? There a trick to understand what and how they work at first, but can tell you a lot about your filing.

attachment.php

I recently converted to hand-filing, myself. I can't think of a single drawback to filing now that I have some chains under my belt. I'm sure I'll have to get my chains "reset" at some point, but I'm not even close to that right now.

I'm not to the point of free-handing, I use the guide that fastens to the file itself. I get good results and have gotten fairly fast with it. As for depth gauges, I do file with the tool in-place - the file skims over the tool when the proper height is attained, it doesn't remove material from the tool as one would suspect.

I'm sure there are purists that insist on free-handing, but not all of us have the eye or feel for it. I don't.

Last edited:
For the record, this Stihl PDF (458K download) lists file size by chain type (second to last page).

RMC = Rapid Micro Comfort
RSC = Rapid Super Comfort

Excerpt from PDF:

Chain Type__________File_______________File Profile
.325” Micro, Super......3/16” (4.8 mm).........Round
3/8” Micro, Super.......13/64” (5.2 mm)........Round

Meaning that a Stihl .325 pitch Micro or Super chain will take a 3/16 file. A Stihl 3/8 (.375) pitch Micro or Super chain will take a 13/64 file.

I started out using the Complete Filing Kit.

filingkits2.gif

I clamp the middle of the bar (don't pinch the rails) with the powerhead still attached in a heavy bench vise and file away according to the instructions in the Stihl instructional videos. Great results.

Chapter 3: Sharpening Your Saw Chain

Last edited:
TreePointer, that was the PDF that I referred to. I saw the Micro, Super, but didn't know for sure if that was the RSC 3/8" chain. That was my confusion. I have seen 13/64" and 7/32" files searching past threads.

TreePointer, that was the PDF that I referred to. I saw the Micro, Super, but didn't know for sure if that was the RSC 3/8" chain. That was my confusion. I have seen 13/64" and 7/32" files searching past threads.

7/32 first half of tooth,then 13/64 till the end

I edited my first post to clear up some things. Other more experienced operators here advise the larger 7/32 to start and then move to the smaller 13/64 file for the latter part of the cutter's life. I usually yield to the more experienced folk here. :)

OK, that clears things up. I did watch the video, albeit with the sound off. Gotta be working, ya know.:)

Looks about as straight forward as I envisioned.

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back